Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PPS Number - who is allowed ask for it?

Options
  • 13-10-2012 5:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭

Hi there,

Sorry if this is not the right forum to ask this question but I wasn't sure what other section to put it in!

Can someone tell me please, if you apply to become a Representative with Kleeneze, Avon, Betterware, Nu Skin, Forever Living etc...Most direct selling companies...and you are asked for your PPS number as security, are they allowed ask you for it? My understanding is that only Government departments and your employer are allowed ask for this.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 TaTDaMGuD

yea they are,, anyone can ask for your pps number, what is yours anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Mine's 007.
    James

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Of course they can ask you for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭MILF

On what grounds though? What can they do with it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

This is controlled by the DPC. A person must have a lawful reason to ask for it. They don't.
    10.1 In what circumstances can I seek a PPS number?

This is a matter for the Department of Social & Family Affairs in the first instance. It is an offence for any person or body to request or hold a record of a PPS number unless they are permitted by law (the Social Welfare Acts) to do so. It is the duty of all bodies to ensure that they are specified in law as being so entitled before they request or hold a record of any person's PPS number.
    It is the duty of all bodies to ensure that they are specified in law as being so entitled before they request or hold a record of any person's PPS number.

http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Topics/PPSN/Pages/cop.aspx

• Advertisement

Thank you very much for your help!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

MILF wrote: »
    Hi there,

Sorry if this is not the right forum to ask this question but I wasn't sure what other section to put it in!

Can someone tell me please, if you apply to become a Representative with Kleeneze, Avon, Betterware, Nu Skin, Forever Living etc...Most direct selling companies...and you are asked for your PPS number as security, are they allowed ask you for it? My understanding is that only Government departments and your employer are allowed ask for this.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
    Not going into legalese but for all intents and purposes they are going to be an employer of yours

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

I'd assume if you are going to be their employee they will be paying you a wage and will need to pay tax/PRSI etc on your behalf. They'll need your PPS number for that.

No they are only representatives, not employees. It's all commission based earnings, there is no wage.

No they are only representatives, not employees. It's all commission based earnings, there is no wage.
    Do you handle taxes or do they?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Commission is still income. Are you making your tax return or are they?

Do you handle taxes or do they?

The representative doesn't pay vat or tax, the manager does.

The representative doesn't pay vat or tax, the manager does.
    so they are handling your income tax so they need to have your pps number

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭d9oiu2wk07blr5

My understanding of companies like Avon is that its representatives are self-employed, and in working on a commission basis based on the amount of sales that they generate, they are responsible for their own tax affairs.

Advertisement