Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows Licence

Options
  • 13-10-2012 4:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭

Hi, just a quick question...

I've decided to buy a new laptop. I'm wondering since I already have paid for windows (Vista) on my old laptop can I still avail of the discount on Windows 8 (for upgrading from an older version of Windows) even though It will be installed on my new laptop. Now since my old laptop is 4 years old, I don't still have the vista installation cd.

Same goes for Microsoft Office. I bought it with my old laptop but I presume I won't have to pay for it all over again when I buy my new laptop. Only problem is again, I don't have the installation cd anymore.

Sorry, that was actually quite a long question.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭TsuDhoNimh

I'm wondering since I already have paid for...
    It all depends what you originally bought. If you got an OEM version of the operating system (more than likely the case if it came pre-installed on the machine), that licence only allows you to use it on that device (or more specifically with that motherboard). This won't be transferable to a new machine.

If you purchased a full Windows license (likely if you bought your windows separately from your machine) or a "full packaged product" (FPP) then you can transfer it to a new machine.

So it all depends on what type of licence you have.
    I don't have the installation cd anymore.
    In both cases you'll be able to download the media without needing the original CD, you'd just need to do a few extra steps to turn the downloaded ISO into a bootable format (Google it, it's not a big deal). So the only question then is if the licence(s) you have are suitable or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

If the new PC is bought on June 2, 2012 through January 31, 2013 then you'll get the Windows 8 upgrade for your new machine at a reduced price from Microsoft (€15).

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IE/windows/upgrade-offer

Advertisement