Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Moving out of dev

• 13-10-2012 3:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭

I am currently 18 months into a development role but I am not enjoying it all that much mainly because I struggle a bit with the tasks that are given to me.

I work for a major multinational so there are a lot of different roles open to me internally and I have been looking at two roles Business Analyst and Application Support Analyst. My manager is aware of my situation and a role has opened in my department for App Support and he has been pushing me towards it but I am unsure if I want to stay in my current location which is making me to think twice about switching roles.

I have an idea what both entail but I am not sure about career path for both and what would I be looking at pay wise come in a few years?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

I finished college as a Software Engineer and I've had a couple of jobs, non development related and finally landed myself a job in Product/Application Support.

My wage starting out is €40,000 with additional benefits including health, pension and subsidised fuel card. The bonuses per year is fairly nice as well.

I'd say, if I were to then go for Management or switch jobs, I could potentially earn up to and above €70k per year. Maybe more in mid-level management.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,044 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Any update on how your getting on OP? Kind of in the same position myself at the moment. Spent 4 years doing general IT(desktop,server,network) support, then 2 years doing application support and now for the past year I've been doing junior development work. Application support was my favourite role because there was bit of creativity and troubleshooting involved whereas with development work it seems to be pure creative and I struggle a bit?

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭done4now

Well I moved into the role after a bit of pushing from my manager. Turns out they wanted to rebuild the team and I only found this out after I moved because two more senior guys in my team got moved as well.

I am only 2 months into it so its still early days yet but I think I may have made a mistake. I said in my interview I didnt want to be implementing changes or updating config for the monitoring system and it seems that is the stuff I am now doing. I was told I would be doing lots of scripting which I have not, I had to beg for the 3 scripts I have done recently.

I am really unhappy in the role atm so I have been looking for new jobs with an eye to do development again but I am trying to hold out until July but its getting harder everyday to stay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,044 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Hmm thats unfortunate but I suppose with the IT jobs market the way it is now you can afford to be picky and look elsewhere. I hope it works out for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 316 ✭✭Mossess

Hmm thats unfortunate but I suppose with the IT jobs market the way it is now you can afford to be picky and look elsewhere. I hope it works out for you.

youcancallmeal your right? The IT market is on fire. If your not happy move...

Would a sys admin position suit you better? If development isn't suiting you then admin might, and you might still get to a bit of scripting.

Also check out SharePoint, it might have the right mix that your looking for. And there are a lot of jobs out there, for the right people, and the money aint too bad.

I would steer clear of support. The money that I've seen is terrible, there seems to be a tenancy to hire twits off the street with no qualifications beyond reading a script, and that brings everything down. In my own honest opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Achtung Maybe

I used to own an IT Recruitment Firm (a reputable one -and yes they do exist :) and my advice of the 2 options (eg Support or Bus Analyst) would be to move in to the Bus Analyst role. Reasons being a Software Developer transforming into a Business Analyst is often seen as natural career progression whereas a Developer moving to a Support role is often seen as a backward step.

Business Analysts typically earn more money than those in Support

Despite this, the IT jobs market is booming at present so if you decide to leave current role in order to remain as a Developer then you should get a new role with relative ease.

Just my tuppenceworth hope it helps

Advertisement