Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Info on preparing Cubase files for sending to mix engineer (online)

Options
  • 13-10-2012 1:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭

Hi lads

Wondering if you were aware of any decent online resources regarding preparing and sending Cubase projects and files to mixing engineers? (online). I've had a look online obviously and there's a fair bit of info but I haven't found the 'bible'...as such...

I'm thinking about stuff beyond the obvious stuff like colour coding, Group channels, switching off effects etc..

Any advice you could offer yourselves would be great too - any nuggets that might prevent me from making the standard, head-wrecking newbie errors..

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭trackmixstudio

Make sure all tracks are properly named.
    Delete alternate takes and anything not being used.
    Print essential effects.
    Print software instruments.
    Export all tracks as audio files at 24 bit.
    Export midi file of tempo map.
    Do a text file of notes for mix engineer.
    Zip this and upload.

It is unlikely they will be using cubase and they probably won't have any of the plugins you are using.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Denalihighway

Print essential effects.

Excuse my ignorance but what do u mean here?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭krd

Print essential effects.

Excuse my ignorance but what do u mean here?

Bounce them down to audio files. Printing is an old term for rendering the effects and everything else to an audio file.

The mix engineer may, or will not have those soft synths and effects plugins

The mix engineer may just work from audio files, and audio files alone. No plugins, and no effects.

Typically a mix engineer just receives audio files - so they can arrange them in whatever DAW they're using and edit from there. If you give them 76 tracks, the first thing they're going to do is get very annoyed and start bouncing tracks down until the number becomes more manageable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭madtheory

krd is spot on. Just to add- I doubt it will be mixed in Cubase. So you need to give the person continuous audio files of each element, all starting from the same point. 24 bit, at the same sample rate at which they were recorded. Switch off the eqs and compressors that you mixed with, but anything that is an essential part of the sound should be left on.

Cubase actually has a function to do all of the "printing" etc. in one go, but I forget what it's called. Export multitrack?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Denalihighway

cheers for the above. I'm sure i'll have more questions as I'm doing that...

for now though...another question...

when you're mixing you guys often ask for samples etc of a sound you're looking for re effect like reverb etc...

would it be an idea to enclose an audio mixdown of the track with the effects on? In my mind this might be the best guide I could give?

I realise technically, at my stage, it wouldn't cut the mustard and might even be harmful to the ears of a professional :) - but it would give a good idea of where I want the sound on VOX etc to go?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Niall - Dahlia

when you're mixing you guys often ask for samples etc of a sound you're looking for re effect like reverb etc...

would it be an idea to enclose an audio mixdown of the track with the effects on? In my mind this might be the best guide I could give?

I realise technically, at my stage, it wouldn't cut the mustard and might even be harmful to the ears of a professional :) - but it would give a good idea of where I want the sound on VOX etc to go?

A mixdown of the track is essential in my opinion. Even if the mix engineer doesn't like to hear a track mixed in any way before throwing the faders up, it can be handy later for referencing the audio files that were sent, to see if anything is missing.

And for me personally, I like to be given reference tracks; links to songs I can listen to that have a general sound/vibe/effect, even specific sounds. I have a "mix questionnaire" that I get bands to fill in when they send me their files.

But Michael covered just about everything there. All I'll add is to make sure there's plenty of headroom/no clipping on the tracks you send. And I'm never keen on receiving alternate takes, or sections that I can include "if I feel it's needed"...that should be decided on beforehand!

Advertisement