Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heritage, Tourism and the Art where is at in recession?

Options
  • 13-10-2012 10:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭

I find myself that the Heritage and Tourism got fairly pushed to the side since the recession came. Its annoying get an honours degree in Heritage studies and finding nothing out there for it. Can't say to much about arts as I am not heavily involved with it but do have an interest.
    I know a lot of museums are now only taking on voluntary work but would love to see paid work come back into the Heritage and Tourism Industry. Anyone from the heritage, toursim and arts industry feel the same way?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭ZombieBride

I might as well use my MA in History for kindling, every opportunity out there in the last few years has been taken by Fas schemes or that woeful Job Bridge. If I have to hear one more time that I have excellent skills but there aren't any places available I'll scream.
    So yes, I agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭upncmnhistori

I agree that is why I have decided to do a start up business course. Hoping to do a genealogy and historic research business. It get tiring when communities pull you at all sides and you being unemployed and wanting to ask for re-embersements without getting ate for it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Sorry to hear of your problems but spare a thought for someone with years of hands-on experience in the 'heritage' business (with no third level qualification) who can't even get interviews as a tour guide. My advice - get the boat and try the UK, where heritage/tourism means something.

Ireland's Heritage, Tourism and Arts (well I don't know if Arts ever dropped because of the Arts festivals in Ireland) need revival. It annoys me that the OPW restore monuments but they never help tourism perhaps it is a seperate body to the tourism industry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Ireland's Heritage, Tourism and Arts (well I don't know if Arts ever dropped because of the Arts festivals in Ireland) need revival. It annoys me that the OPW restore monuments but they never help tourism perhaps it is a seperate body to the tourism industry.

Back in the day when I operated a museum in County Tipperary the nearby OPW centres wouldn't even display leaflets for our attraction because we weren't an OPW operation - joined up thinking - and all part of the reason that Ireland's heritage and tourism product is such a bad joke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

Ireland's Heritage, Tourism and Arts (well I don't know if Arts ever dropped because of the Arts festivals in Ireland) need revival. It annoys me that the OPW restore monuments but th officeey never help tourism perhaps it is a seperate body to the tourism industry.
    i know from experience how useless the heritage office and the opw are..myself and others have been in contact with both on different occasions for diffrent reasons.all to do with concerns for our heritage..in both cases the expression "as useful as a choclate fireguard "spring to mind...oh.unless its a money spinner like newgrange..then they are very protective..

Maudi wrote: »
    i know from experience how useless the heritage office and the opw are..myself and others have been in contact with both on different occasions for diffrent reasons.all to do with concerns for our heritage..in both cases the expression "as useful as a choclate fireguard "spring to mind...oh.unless its a money spinner like newgrange..then they are very protective..

I agree Maudi. The OPW are the ones that put the my county museum together but a museum can't be full of glass because of because of light that would damage artifacats but they did anyways. According to a former lecturer of mine architects think in a way of 'would I get an award for it' rather than how a museum should be done properly. All to do with convservation.
    At least Brian Hayes now has decided to get OPW places working with local communities which should be a socail change or is that also a money spinner?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭ZombieBride

Maudi wrote: »

I can also concur with this, oh and don't get me started on Shannon Development.

Aren't Shannon Development a successful business though with Bunratty Castle and the rest of its aera? In all my experience with heritage places I have worked and college the OPW have not once come of in a good light. Including different public bodies aswell. I notice in the heritage fields they people are fairly anti-OPW but I hope this 'working with local communities' works out well in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭who what when

I agree that is why I have decided to do a start up business course. Hoping to do a genealogy and historic research business. It get tiring when communities pull you at all sides and you being unemployed and wanting to ask for re-embersements without getting ate for it!

Excellent idea. The demand for that kind of thing is only going to increase

• Advertisement

I know I hope there are people out there who want the Heritage (paid) Industry to revive again instead of volunteer work all the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

I find myself that the Heritage and Tourism got fairly pushed to the side since the recession came. Its annoying get an honours degree in Heritage studies and finding nothing out there for it. Can't say to much about arts as I am not heavily involved with it but do have an interest.
    I know a lot of museums are now only taking on voluntary work but would love to see paid work come back into the Heritage and Tourism Industry. Anyone from the heritage, toursim and arts industry feel the same way?

That reads like a whine. A degree in ‘Heritage’ would always leave you on the margins of paid work in any economy, and over the edge in a recession. It might be your ‘thing’ just as teaching Latin might be the passion of another, but both are not passports to fulltime or lucrative employment. Of course there are others that feel the same way. Ask anyone in the construction sector or just look at the unemployment stats across most occupations. Problem is.... ‘feeling’ will do nothing for you. Go abroad and get work there. Experience how other heritage sites / museums / galleries are designed, managed and staffed. Build up your experience, knowledge and contacts.

I know you probably are thrilled with your hons degree, but frankly it is worth very little without practical experience. Get the latter and you will be well poised and qualified when things improve.

Advertisement