Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donaire vs Nishioka & Rios vs Alvarado

Options
  • 13-10-2012 1:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭

Really looking forward to this. Promises to be the best night of boxing all year. Donaire-Nishioka is a terrific match for several reasons, and Rios-Alvarado is pretty much a guaranteed war. Can't wait for it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

are these on TV?

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭el flaco

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

Well its on HBO so its a steam i'll be getting. I cant wait for this much credit to Donaire he doesn't take an easy fight as for Rios and Alvardo it will most likely be a fight of the year contender

• Registered Users Posts: 5 ivoryp

Great night of boxing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭Henno30

Well its on HBO so its a steam i'll be getting. I cant wait for this much credit to Donaire he doesn't take an easy fight as for Rios and Alvardo it will most likely be a fight of the year contender

So true about Donaire. Top quality opposition every time. If he takes Nishioka out early he goes above his illustrious compatriot in many people's P4P rankings I reckon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭barney4001

try firstrowsports.eu

Man i love Rios

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Heliotrope

That was brutal. Incredible match.

Heliotrope wrote: »
    That was brutal. Incredible match.
    Yeah it lived up to the hype what a war the kind of fight which reminds us all what is so good about boxing non stop action

Is there anyone that will come out of their shell and trade with Donaire? When a guy like Nishioka is hiding behind his gloves you'd have to wonder where he can go to get an exciting fight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 jjm

Dont know if its concidence but it seems like a lot of fighters training under Roberto Garcia are exceptionally tough/hard men. (With the exception of Victor Ortiz who IMO is a worldclass clown).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roberto_Garcia_Cortez

Have always liked Roberto Garcia, he always comes across as a decent skin in 24/7 and interviews. Given his line up of fighters I'd say the sparring in his gym is fair intense!

jjm wrote: »
    Dont know if its concidence but it seems like a lot of fighters training under Roberto Garcia are exceptionally tough/hard men. (With the exception of Victor Ortiz who IMO is a worldclass clown).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roberto_Garcia_Cortez

Have always liked Roberto Garcia, he always comes across as a decent skin in 24/7 and interviews. Given his line up of fighters I'd say the sparring in his gym is fair intense!

Danny Garcia trains Ortiz. That was the source of the split between the two brothers.

He's got a big range of fighters. Donaire and Mikey Garcia are obviously top class technicians, but then you've got Rios and Maidana who are two absolute sluggers. There's probably a good argument that he's the top trainer out there at the moment.

You should check out Elie Sechback's channel (Esnews) on Youtube if you're a fan. He uploads videos from Garcia's gym pretty much every day, and he's got a 'reality show' based there that must have 50 episodes or more at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭endswell

Henno30 wrote: »
    Is there anyone that will come out of their shell and trade with Donaire? When a guy like Nishioka is hiding behind his gloves you'd have to wonder where he can go to get an exciting fight.
    Frrampton in 5-6 fights time maybe if all goes to plan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭keane=cock

endswell wrote: »

unlike your name that doesnt end well for frampton i think

I am sure Frampton will beat Donaire sometime in 2013 /14

keane=cock wrote: »

end swell :)

barney4001 wrote: »
    I am sure Frampton will beat Donaire sometime in 2013 /14

Beat him at what?

keane=cock wrote: »

Well i am not talking about tiddley winks:D

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Maravilla33

That match up only ends one way. Donaire is relatively fresh and isn't involved in many tear ups so cant see Frampton catching him on the way down..

He's several levels above Frampton and always will be. He seems to be able to do what he wants and fights at the level of his opposition. He can coast a bit against lesser foes but when up against a dangerous opponent like a Montiel or Vic Dar he is ruthless. Nishioka albeit getting on is a quality fighter and came to survive.

• Advertisement

Larry Merchant was criticising Donaire again after the weekend. Merchant reckons he's not the type of fighter who's going to get cash registers ringing or draw eyes to the television screen. He might be a bit of an old codger but he probably has as good a knowledge of this particular aspect of the game as anyone.

Donaire has now been in 4 consecutive HBO fights that are not particularly memorable, and his opponents increasingly seem to be too afraid of his power to give him the chance to open up. He's very secure in his current place in the sport, but the next level will elude him unless he finds opponents who will give him a better chance to showcase his skills. I don't know if he's going to find such an opponent in the 122lb division.

Larry Merchant was criticising Donaire again after the weekend. Merchant reckons he's not the type of fighter who's going to get cash registers ringing or draw eyes to the television screen. He might be a bit of an old codger but he probably has as good a knowledge of this particular aspect of the game as anyone.

Donaire has now been in 4 consecutive HBO fights that are not particularly memorable, and his opponents increasingly seem to be too afraid of his power to give him the chance to open up. He's very secure in his current place in the sport, but the next level will elude him unless he finds opponents who will give him a better chance to showcase his skills. I don't know if he's going to find such an opponent in the 122lb division.

I think he is at the top table already unless you mean the next level exposure wise. Skills wise hes more than up there. Hes clearly in the top 5 p4p and would be top 3 for me if he fought and beat Rigondeaux. That would be a great fight but I'd fancy Donaire to win it well. I'd also take him to beat Mares. If he fights Frampton in the next year or 2 then he pancakes him. Horrible opponent for Carl.

Wins against Darchinyan, Montiel and Nishioka really stand out. He won his first title at something like flyweight so I wont hold it against him that hes not blowing away 122lbers who are coming to survive. Hopefully he stays active as hes a future ATG in my book and there aren't many of them around at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,595 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Donaire exposed Nishioka as maybe a bit overrated. Donaire has effortless power. Him and Rigondeaux would be a great style match. I would love to see Donaire add a few lbs and maybe meet Gamboa. Wow!

I think he is at the top table already unless you mean the next level exposure wise. Skills wise hes more than up there. Hes clearly in the top 5 p4p and would be top 3 for me if he fought and beat Rigondeaux. That would be a great fight but I'd fancy Donaire to win it well. I'd also take him to beat Mares. If he fights Frampton in the next year or 2 then he pancakes him. Horrible opponent for Carl.

Wins against Darchinyan, Montiel and Nishioka really stand out. He won his first title at something like flyweight so I wont hold it against him that hes not blowing away 122lbers who are coming to survive. Hopefully he stays active as hes a future ATG in my book and there aren't many of them around at the moment.

Obviously I'm talking about exposure. No one questions his talent. The problem is his signature wins over Montiel and Darchinyan put him in the 'action fighter' category, the comparisons with Pacquiao didn't help in this respect either.

Since Montiel, he's has four consecutive fights on HBO that have not been crowd pleasers and that HBO figures have referred to as disappointments. And one of the main reasons they've been disappointments is because he created so much expectation in his spectacular knockouts of Montiel and Darchinyan.

That's why I'm suggesting he needs to go to featherweight to face guys who have both name recognition and the willingness to exchange with him. Soon too, he's going to be 30 by then end of the year.

That match up only ends one way. Donaire is relatively fresh and isn't involved in many tear ups so cant see Frampton catching him on the way down..

He's several levels above Frampton and always will be. He seems to be able to do what he wants and fights at the level of his opposition. He can coast a bit against lesser foes but when up against a dangerous opponent like a Montiel or Vic Dar he is ruthless. Nishioka albeit getting on is a quality fighter and came to survive.

Won't argue about the result but the original question asked whether anyone would trade. i can't see carl coming to hide behind a guard take a moderate beating. he will come to fight like he does always. he has improved loads in his last fights. 5 or 6 fights time is 1 and half or 2 years away and he will be much better there.

Obviously I'm talking about exposure. No one questions his talent. The problem is his signature wins over Montiel and Darchinyan put him in the 'action fighter' category, the comparisons with Pacquiao didn't help in this respect either.

Since Montiel, he's has four consecutive fights on HBO that have not been crowd pleasers and that HBO figures have referred to as disappointments. And one of the main reasons they've been disappointments is because he created so much expectation in his spectacular knockouts of Montiel and Darchinyan.

That's why I'm suggesting he needs to go to featherweight to face guys who have both name recognition and the willingness to exchange with him. Soon too, he's going to be 30 by then end of the year.

Bit of a catch 22 for him so. He's not an all action type fighter and anyone that watches him expecting that will be disappointed. Hes essentially a counter puncher and to look good needs his opponents to come forward so he can exploit any mistakes with his timing and power. The Montiel and Vic Dar KOs were both big counter lefts after they lunged in (if my memory serves me correctly)

He was a flyweight 3 years ago so I don't expect him to blow everyone away as he moves up especially guys who have no interest in actually coming at him. Saying that hes still put the majority of them down. He should do all he can to fight Rigondeaux who I feel is a bit over rated and would get knocked out by Donaire.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,289 ✭✭✭megadodge

As a point of information, there are never many All Time Greats around. That's why they are All Time Greats. :)

Bit of a catch 22 for him so. He's not an all action type fighter and anyone that watches him expecting that will be disappointed. Hes essentially a counter puncher and to look good needs his opponents to come forward so he can exploit any mistakes with his timing and power. The Montiel and Vic Dar KOs were both big counter lefts after they lunged in (if my memory serves me correctly)

He was a flyweight 3 years ago so I don't expect him to blow everyone away as he moves up especially guys who have no interest in actually coming at him. Saying that hes still put the majority of them down. He should do all he can to fight Rigondeaux who I feel is a bit over rated and would get knocked out by Donaire.

The catch for him is he has to go somewhere his power won't be such a factor. He needs to put his technical ability on show and take out big names with it. That's not to say he's been avoiding top level competition, far from it, but to do big numbers and make big money he's going to have to go after whatever stars are in his neighbourhood.

As far as Rigo goes, I would love to see that fight, but it won't be a crowd pleaser either. Can't see Arum putting them in together until they've both (Rigo in particular) got bigger mainstream recognition. That's unless he doesn't have much hope Rigo's marketability in the long term.

walshb wrote: »
    Donaire exposed Nishioka as maybe a bit overrated. Donaire has effortless power. Him and Rigondeaux would be a great style match. I would love to see Donaire add a few lbs and maybe meet Gamboa. Wow!

What's the story with Gamboa now? He was supposed to be signed to TMT, but since that looks to have collapsed there were people suggesting that he was going to go crawling back to Bob.

Would be amazing to see him in with Donaire. He might not be at 126 next time he fights though.

• Advertisement

megadodge wrote: »
    As a point of information, there are never many All Time Greats around. That's why they are All Time Greats. :)

Touché...

Advertisement