Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Captain Morgan's Rum

Options
  • 12-10-2012 11:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,853 ✭✭✭✭

I was thinking of getting a bottle of it tomorrow to see what it's like.

I was just wondering how I should drink it. Is there anything that goes particular well with it or should I just try it straight? Also, is there any other kind of rum that you would recommend? I've never really drank much of it before.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭The Royal Scam

Coke, and some more Coke

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Pepsi and Club Orange go with it incredibly way, especially Orange though.

I don't like it straight myself I would have to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,840 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Most common mixer is Coke methinks..

.. very sweet, but am a fan of it after a big deal when beer is just too heavy on the ol' gut!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭muletide

Toothbrush

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭ger vallely

Old Sea Dog,by the beach,straight from the bottle. Particularly good on a chillly evening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭A_Fitz

Some depression from it the following day :/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

Suas11 wrote: »
    I was thinking of getting a bottle of it tomorrow to see what it's like.

I was just wondering how I should drink it. Is there anything that goes particular well with it or should I just try it straight? Also, is there any other kind of rum that you would recommend? I've never really drank much of it before.

As said coke is the norm. but you should try club orange it really is amazing. it tastes the exact same as super split

• Registered Users Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭shanec1928

club orange or try 7up with it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,821 ✭✭✭squonk

I had it with bitter lemon one New Years Eve. It was very nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

I had a bottle of it last week and it's really nice, probably the nicest one out there with coke of course. My favourite for sure but once a month or two i drink it as not to get carried away drinking it every week as you would need a head of steel to manage the hangovers.

Enjoy in moderation. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

With Coke it'll taste just like vanilla coke! Quite nice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭ablelocks

ginger ale is very nice with it, as is rock shandy.

Red lemonade is something I want to try in it.

captain morgan mojito's are delicious.

for me, coke overpowers any drink it's mixed with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

ablelocks wrote: »
    ginger ale is very nice with it, as is rock shandy.

Red lemonade is something I want to try in it.

captain morgan mojito's are delicious.

for me, coke overpowers any drink it's mixed with.

Umm... That sounds nice. I might try the rock shandy next time. Thanks for the tip.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,870 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Only learned recently that Captain Morgan Spiced is not in fact rum but rather: "spirit drink based on a secret blend of premium Caribbean rums, mellow spice and other natural flavours. "
    I wonder how much rum is actually in it?:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

Out of all the rum's that I've tried Captain Morgan's tastes the best mixed with coke.

Alternatively is actually quite nice with apple juice and that's coming from somebody that hates cider.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

Jagermeister!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Captain Morgans Spiced Rum is sweet. Captain Morgans Dark Rum is not that sweet compared to it, but is nice. Some lime for the former goes well, and is needed for the latter.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,853 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Thanks to everyone for answering. I've tried with both coke and club orange and have to say I prefer it with the orange. It's very nice on it's own too. I'm just wondering would you actually find this in most pubs?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,840 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Yeah, easily found in most pubs in my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭The Cool

Try it with coke, a chuck of lemon and a shake of cinnamon. NOM.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

I love it with Club Orange and enjoy it with coke too but the best thing to do is to make what I call a dirty mojito.

Sugar, lime, mint, Morgans and red bull. Amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭delta214

TK Red lemonade

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Only learned recently that Captain Morgan Spiced is not in fact rum but rather: "spirit drink based on a secret blend of premium Caribbean rums, mellow spice and other natural flavours. "
    I wonder how much rum is actually in it?:eek:
    I would still class it as a rum, a flavoured rum alright, but still rum, like I would consider the flavoured absoluts to be legitimately able to be called flavoured vodkas.

Now if they were diluting it down with a neutral based wine I would not call it rum. Many of the knock off baileys use a 'blend of whiskey & wine' rather than only using whiskey like baileys.

If Captain Morgans had neutral grain spirits added I suppose it would be a legit argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,870 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

rubadub wrote: »
    If Captain Morgans had neutral grain spirits added I suppose it would be a legit argument.

I suspect that this is the case, otherwise they's call it spiced rum like Sailor Jerry's or Rum 19 (both of which taste even worse than Captain Morgan's IMO).

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I suspect that this is the case, otherwise they's call it spiced rum
    But they do seem to call it spiced rum. Your quote was the first time I ever saw it described as a "spirit based drink".
    The label clearly says "spiced rum" and I reckon this would not be allowed if it did not fall under a legal definition. (like you see cartons of cranberry juice drink, they must add in the drink bit since it only contains some juice.

The baileys knockoffs clearly state there is wine in it, while alcoholic drinks do not ordinarily disclose ingredients, I guessed this wine admission was legally required.

Looking at bottles of spirits I do not see much price difference between a grain & sugar/molasses based spirit. Both have the same duty levels etc so it would seem odd to put in grain based spirits.

Perhaps it has to be called a spirit based drink in some regions since it is so low in alcohol. Morgans is only 35%, some places might not permit this to be called rum or something. There is/was a lowish alcohol vodka, something like sarotov spirits -I don't think they were allowed call it vodka because it was too low, about 30% I think. I also recall some pub, maybe the purty kitchen, getting in trouble for selling "red bulll & vodka", while infact the vodka was really low %, and while it was a neutral spirit (not wine) I think they could not call it vodka.

EDIT:http://www.just-drinks.com/the-just-drinks-blog/captain-morgan-rum-not-rum_id1915.aspx
    I started a bit of a debate earlier today on Twitter, when I queried a category description used by Diageo in a press release.

In announcing the launch of an ad campaign for Captain Morgan, the drinks giant described the brand as being a “rum-based spirit drink”. This was news to me: I mean, I know Pernod Ricard's Malibu is not, strictly speaking, a rum. But, Captain Morgan?

Over to Diageo to explain:

'Captain Morgan Jamaican Black' is a rum – everywhere in the world.

'Captain Morgan Original Spiced Rum' is sold primarily in the US and Canada, and under US law, and rest of world, it is a rum.

'Captain Morgan Original Spiced Gold' is the name given to 'Captain Morgan Original Spiced Rum' in Europe. Under European law, it cannot be described as a rum due to the composition of the liquid – primarily the spices added to it and the ABV (35%). Therefore, in Europe, it must be described legally as “a rum-based spirit drink”.

As Diageo concluded to me: "Clear?"

Advertisement