Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Something I noticed Today FM tonight

Options
  • 12-10-2012 8:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭

Matt Cooper and Michael McMullen on The Last Word, and the newsreader at 7pm, all referred to the game between Ireland and Germany taking place at Lansdowne Road.

What's the story I wonder? Have Today FM had a falling out with Aviva and are refusing to give them publicity?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,440 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Matt Cooper and Michael McMullen on The Last Word, and the newsreader at 7pm, all referred to the game between Ireland and Germany taking place at Lansdowne Road.

What's the story I wonder? Have Today FM had a falling out with Aviva and are refusing to give them publicity?
    Probably habit as load of people refer to it as lansdowne road.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭LeakyGee

The show is Sponsored by Irish Life right ?

I doubt it was because Aviva is some what of a competitor, slip of the tongue for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭denishurley

Three times though? And the news script would definitely say the Aviva Stadium

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭splendid101

That's interesting because I noticed Ger Gilroy on Newstalk sport referring to it as Landsdowne Rd. as well.

Maybe there is something to it?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 gaziah

Think it's just a force of habit really , similar situation to Newcastle , can't imagine many of they're reporters referring to it as the sportsdirect.com arena now can you :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,899 ✭✭✭paulbok

Aviva didn't want to be associated with the tripe being played on friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

I always call it Lansdowne aswell, which it is really. 20 years or so going to lansdowne, then suddenly its the "Aviva" until they run outta money and its the Paddy Power arena or whatever. The FAI are screwed when it comes to money and will take whatever namig rights they can.
    But the stadium is still on Lansdowne road, to me and most ppl who are fans or/and doing sports on radio or wherever will know it as that too, and rightly keep calling it Lansdowne Road.

I know Steve, and I agree. My point though is that the reversion to calling it Lansdowne Road on Today FM is only recent, as the media in general had got on board with calling it the Aviva

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Looking back through Friday's scripts, they either don't mention the stadium at all, or they call it "the Aviva". Sports readers don't have to rip & read or strictly stick to the script though, of course, and can of course put their own wording/style on it.

It could have just been force of habit for them... or it could have been a clash due to sponsors (although I'd say that's unlikely). Then again, they could have just been speaking geographically when they said "at Landsdowne Road" (referring to the area/road itself) and weren't actually referring to the name of the stadium at all. Putting my own newsreader hat on, I'd probably do that more-often-than not... i.e.: not referring to it as 'The Aviva' simply due to wanting to report the facts of the news and not have my bulletin sound like a commercial/advert.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭squonk

The stadium was lansdowne Road, and still is Lansdowne Road. They were quite right to refer to it as Lansdowne Road. As soon as Aviva run out of money it'll be the McDonalds Stadium or whatever else. Enough of that bullcrap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭GSF

squonk wrote: »
    The stadium was lansdowne Road, and still is Lansdowne Road. They were quite right to refer to it as Lansdowne Road. As soon as Aviva run out of money it'll be the McDonalds Stadium or whatever else. Enough of that bullcrap.
    Give Aviva their money back if thats your position. People in Ireland always want something for nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,814 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Interestingly, when the stadium was hosting the UEFA Cup final, UEFA referred to it as 'Dublin Stadium'.
    That made me snigger, if anyone landed in Dublin and asked for directions to 'Dublin Stadium' they would probably be pointed towards the North side.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Tony O'Donohue also said Lansdowne Road from inside the ground on Thursday's Six One News after reporting from where the Germans were training :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

flazio wrote: »
    Interestingly, when the stadium was hosting the UEFA Cup final, UEFA referred to it as 'Dublin Stadium'.
    That made me snigger, if anyone landed in Dublin and asked for directions to 'Dublin Stadium' they would probably be pointed towards the North side.

Pointed to the North Side? why is South Dublin not in Dublin anymore. Sigh.

UEFA insisted on it NOT being called the Aviva Stadium as Aviva are not an official sponsor of UEFA. That's why.

vicwatson wrote: »
    Pointed to the North Side? why is South Dublin not in Dublin anymore. Sigh.

UEFA insisted on it NOT being called the Aviva Stadium as Aviva are not an official sponsor of UEFA. That's why.

Dublin Arena I think is what UEFA called it? Vic is right re the reason, the Emirates is referred to as Arsenal Stadium for the Champions League and the Allianz Arena as the Fussball Arena

Advertisement