Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stoves

Options
  • 12-10-2012 7:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Anyone know of honest and decent multifuel stove supplier/installer in Cork?. Had some bad experiences recently. Finding it hard to get honest and reliable information or indeed any information at this stage!....between conflicting advice or just terrible customer service.....today took the biscuit....phoned a place in drimoleague to maybe book a consultation ...couldn't get over the level of ignorance and arrogance...i made an innocent remark saying I had spoken to a couple of places in cork but since I was getting conflicting advice from them, I remarked that I wanted another opinion to confirm what I had been told and indeed get a third estimate on cost...at the end of the day, its an expensive job and any few bob off the better!...

essentially i was told they didn't need my business as they were too busy and the fact that I had been seeking estimates indicated I was unreliable!
    I'm not doing the converstaion justice hear, but I must say I have been angry all day after...just the disrecect shown to someone who is genuiinly trying to get a job done and get it done right
    i thought the customer is king!!?..needlesstosay, I put the phone down...have also tried to book consultations from other 'reputable' installers and getting no response...have been onto one place 3 times and expecting call backs, but nope! and i'm not contacting thm again. (I thought there was a recession!!?)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

Bought our stove in toss o'briens in fermoy earlier this year and he gave us the name of an installer who did a great job, fitted it in a few hours and its burning away now with no problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Plumbing & Heating

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 21 scoopdog

do your research on what stove you need and really shop around, I bought from Mullensdomestic in enniskillen, they deliver free all over ireland and are € 200-300 cheaper than the south, I've been to 5 or 6 different stove shops in the last week and the amount of crap i've heard is unreal. One guy argued with me blind that i needed flue liner in my chimney as my house is 150 years old. He then told me more or less not to ring him unless i had €2000 to part with ?? I've sourced all parts for €1100 (Stockton stovax 6 Kw) and will fit it my self. :)

I fully cleaned my chimney from top to bottom with rods last week end and it's tip top, not a thing wrong with it, happy days

• Registered Users Posts: 3 PAC Attack

thanks tipp..will bear that in mind..and give a call

• Registered Users Posts: 3 PAC Attack

cheers scoop...stove installation seems to be a service that lends itself to chancers I reckon!....but thats good advice...will check if mullens is online

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭cranefly

re pac attack, i cant understand why guys who proclaim to install stoves would treat a potential customer like that, we got an inset boiler stove put in last january in place of an open fire with backboiler, been lighting the fire most nights since, and i can honestly say it is the best thing we ever bought, the guys we bought the stove off also installed it, a guy called dennis and his son donnacha run the place, they are southern stoves in charleville north cork, they gave us great advice before we decided to go with them, hope this is of some help to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭wayoutwest

Scoopdog - the man who told you that you will need a chimney liner for your 150 year old chimney might have been saying it for a good reason.....ie:how do you connect a stove, with a 5" flue, into a [larger] stone chimney?. The stove is designed to run with a 5" flue right the way up to the chimney cowl.

What parts [excluding stove] have you bought for your d.i.y installation?

wayoutwest wrote: »
    Scoopdog - the man who told you that you will need a chimney liner for your 150 year old chimney might have been saying it for a good reason.....ie:how do you connect a stove, with a 5" flue, into a [larger] stone chimney?. The stove is designed to run with a 5" flue right the way up to the chimney cowl.

What parts [excluding stove] have you bought for your d.i.y installation?

Hello Wayout west, yes what i had to do was firstly clean out my stack , this took me nearly 5 hours as it was completely blocked with old birds nests etc. My house is upside down ie. living room and kitchen upstairs and bedrooms down. The run up my stack from the the heart is approx 4-5 mtr"s.

Once fully cleaned i strapped a camera to the rods and recorded it as i slowly put the rods back up to check the middle, i could not see the condition of the clay stacks from below or above the stack. There in great condition. I've had a builder and plumber double check and all looks good i might light a smoke pellet today and see if its leaking.

The distance from the heart to the first clay pot is approx 1200 mm so i can stand in the chimney breast and measured my clay pot inside diameter. Mine is 9 inch (inside). I have ordered a claypot insert and will place this as tight as i can get it when i receive it with fire rope and cement for a good seal. My clay pot is angled at approx 15 degrees and I will only really get a very accurate angle when i get the adapter in. Then i will get the rest of the fittings to suit. :)

http://www.fluestore.com/Connecting-Pipes/Clay-Adapters/150mm/Internal-Fit-Clay-Pot-Adaptor-225mm-%289-Inch%29-With-150mm-Spigot/28-6-9ICLA

hope this helps.

SD:)

Snoopdog - I [wrongly] assumed that assuming that you did'nt have liners in your chimney [being so old]. You are lucky that they're in good condition. Seal the adapter well and make sure you've got a hat on top to stop rain trickling down and across the flue-work[below adapter].
    Your way will be fine[and cheaper] than fitting a liner with insulation - although the draw will not be as good and the condensation levels will be higher.
    Make sure that there are no obstructions for the adapter to snag on - some times the first liner is resting on blocks, which can reduce the diameter.....but I'm sure you've already checked for that.
    Happy burnin' - WoWest.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭boiler break downs

scoopdog wrote: »
    do your research on what stove you need and really shop around, I bought from Mullensdomestic in enniskillen, they deliver free all over ireland and are € 200-300 cheaper than the south, I've been to 5 or 6 different stove shops in the last week and the amount of crap i've heard is unreal. One guy argued with me blind that i needed flue liner in my chimney as my house is 150 years old. He then told me more or less not to ring him unless i had €2000 to part with ?? I've sourced all parts for €1100 (Stockton stovax 6 Kw) and will fit it my self. :)

I fully cleaned my chimney from top to bottom with rods last week end and it's tip top, not a thing wrong with it, happy days
    there is a place in ballincollig industrial estate.

• Advertisement

had to change my plan an off-set clay adapter was in fact too off-set and the joint would be to severe ,this would be to hard to clean in future , so ive gone with a 5 inch liner with 2 X 45 bends for ease of access for cleaning. Costing me a bit more but i'm not taking any chances :)

Came home today only to find 2 crows in the sitting room ...LOL guess there not to happy about getting kicked out of there house :)

SD:)[/QUOTE]

Scoopdog - It will be a better job with the flexi. You could consider going for a 6" flexi with reducer to 5" - I understand that the slight increase in diametre means that the 5" gap is maintained even when there is a 1" build up in soot - this is more of a concern when burning coal. Having the 6" will also mean that you are not restricted to only stoves with 5" outlets - if you were to change stoves in the future.

it might be worth checking out - WoW.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭CHOPS01

Hi lads.
    Work in retail selling fireplaces and stoves.We always recommend the flue being relined no matter what age or condition of the chimney.
    Why ? Simple really as the flexi will maximise efficeincy and performance of the stove.Added to that is the peace of mind of substantially reducing the risk of ever having a chimney fire.
    I know some shoppers to our showroom thinking we are on the make try to promote the flexi but on a 2 storey you are looking at a price of approx €375 for supply and fit of the flue.Probably making about €120 profit on that.Not a lot for the time it takes and the risk of one of our fitters getting to the top of your chimney stack !

You should always try purchase from a shop that do the fitting inhouse.You ever have a problem your not going to get the run around.
    (Oh thats a probem with the stove,ah no thats a problem with the fitting,well you only paid us for the stove you,ll have to sort that out with the fitter.)

Of course its cheaper to buy on line,everything is,but isn't it reassuring to know that you can sit in your car and drop into the store where you can look the guy you bought from in the eye if there is a problem.

Not all sales people are out to get you !

Gents, any idea where i can buy bits and pieces of materials ie. fire rope , cement , sealant etc. in the dublin area :)

SD

• Registered Users Posts: 3 zuluireland

Hey Stove Fan, everyone say you are the man when it comes to stove related queries so here goes...

we have a bungalow with an open fire and 17 radiators...i know, a lot!

the floors in this house are a nightmare, uneven...un level....un everything, the guy that put in our wooden floors a few years ago laid them over the existing tiles as the floors were in such a mess...

our fireplace is in the sitting room, with the fireplace backing onto our hall, the hotpress is about 10 meters away from here at the other end of the hall

if we were to install a stove to heat radiators and provide hot water could the pipe run from the stove go up and across the attic? or does it have to go under the floor? ( i know i'd need a brute of a stove to do this and ripping up wooden floors and then tiles would be a nightmare...)

if the above isn't possible here is my next scenario...

Would it be possible to install a stove, run the pipes through the attic and have it set to heat only the radiators?

Here is where i am coming from... we currently only have oil central heating for both rad's and hot water...we a re pouring buckets of coal into our open fire and watching the heat go up the chimney...

no matter what we are going to install a non boiler stove for the heat and effeciency benefits, however if there was a chance that we could heat the radiators only then we'd prefer a boiler stove and would do this....

thanks for your advice and help in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭elgan

I got some scratches on my stove. Is it possible to paint it?.

Advertisement