Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crypt32.dll

Options
  • 12-10-2012 1:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭

I am unable to start up my laptop as I am getting an error saying crypt32.dll is possibly corrupted. and another error saying Bad Image. I cant even start up in safe mode. Ideas?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Windows 7?

Tap F8 right after the POST screen for the Windows Boot Selection Menu, choose Repair Windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Sidney77

Windows XP, dont have the repair option.

This is the error message: STOP:c0000221 {Bad Image Checksum}
    The image CRYPT32.dll is possible corrupt. The header checksum does not match the computed checksum.

I get that on a blue screen no matter what option i use to start windows.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

first unplug everything from the PC apart form keyboard and screen
    remove all usb keys etc and disks and try to boot up - stranger things have happened

generic DLL advice
    http://pcsupport.about.com/od/findbyerrormessage/a/crypt32-dll-not-found-missing-error.htm
    Important: Do not download crypt32.dll from a "DLL download" website. There are many reasons why downloading a DLL file is a bad idea. If you need a copy of crypt32.dll, it's best to obtain it from its original, legitimate source.

It's XP so an older system ? run a diagnostics check on the hard drive to be on the safe side especially if the drive is making noises

check the hard drive isn't full, that will block lots of things,

If you have a linux live CD you could try copying that dll from another XP machine to yours - probably won't work

if you have installed new software / made big changes you could try to manually copy over older registry files
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545 - this is long and painfull and probably won't fix the problem

If windows XP won't boot then you are looking for your windows CD :(
    and a detect/repair install

If you don't have a CD and the machine came with just a recovery image then you will need something like a live linux cd to backup your files off the computer because many images nuke anything on the drive

Advertisement