Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

black swan killed by thugs

Options
  • 11-10-2012 10:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭

the limerick post page 8 states that the well known black swan was strangled by thugs last week in Castleconnell. no link online sorry

Un be f***ing lievable

Mod snip
    ARAN ( animal rights network) offers €1100 reward for information. call Second Mod Snip - I can't find that phone number on the Aran.ie site, but they have contact details on their site

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Kwack

Scum! Why would someone do that? Sincerely hope they find the ****ers responsible!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭ZombieBride

Are we sure the swan didn't tangle itself up in wire?
    Anyone who has been close to a swan will know what vicious creatures, if it was a human directly (as opposed to indirectly by leaving wire out) responsible then they wouldn't have come away unscathed.
    Lets not jump to the worst possible scenario.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Folks,

Idol speculation into the nationality of someone who carried out this crime could be considered racism, also, there is nowhere to suggest the employment status of the person who carried out the attack. Finally, advocating the use of violence is against the charter. If you want to discuss Animal Rights/Law feel free to find a more suitable forum than the Limerick 1.

I have cleaned up the thread of any posts that I feel are against the rules, I haven't handed out any warnings/infractions but if the discussion carried on here as it started I will hand some out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

From the Limerick Leader;
    A BLACK swan that fascinated tourists and locals in Castleconnell and Limerick city has been found strangled to death.

Its carcass was found with a rope around its neck on the Clonlara side of the river in Doonass days after it returned to the area last week. LSPCA believe the swan may have been hanged.
    Sadly, sounds like this was no accident. Such a shame, swans are lovely creatures.

Full article

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 963 ✭✭✭NinjaK

<Mod Snip>

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

NinjaK banned for a week for ignoring a mod's instructions and breaching the rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Kwack

I do plenty of driving and have killed cats and birds (not purposely) but have nearly crashed several times trying to miss them. I feel guilty even though I have done no wrong. I honestly don't know how people randomly kill animals like that. Don't get me wrong if my family was starving with no access to food I'd kill an animal without hesitation but to kill something for the laugh is disgusting

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Are we sure the swan didn't tangle itself up in wire?
    Anyone who has been close to a swan will know what vicious creatures, if it was a human directly (as opposed to indirectly by leaving wire out) responsible then they wouldn't have come away unscathed.
    Lets not jump to the worst possible scenario.

It was a rope that was around it's neck, not wire, and the rope was tied, so I doubt that swans are able to tie knots in ropes.

Also swans are not vicious creatures, not in the slightest, and swans in an area where they are being fed on a regular basis by humans become too trusting. An alert swan defending itself can put up a fight, but if taken by surprise it would have no chance against one or more humans.

Also a swan could be taken down by one or more individuals easily enough without the swan causing harm. A swan that is used to humans, as the Castleconnel swans are, would be easy to lure in close with some bread. Then it would be a matter of striking the bird with a weapon to stun it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭crackcrack30

Lets just wait until these young thugs get brave enough to mug/kill a pensioner or harm a child (j bolger) before they are brought to task for their evil deeds.:rolleyes:........unnecessary crulety to harmless & defenceless animals should be ringing massive alarmbells with several state agencies at this point in time...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

thats sick, poor thing :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Just saw this, so horrific, so mindless, trying to work out what type of person could even think up doing something like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Sappa

What absolute vile excuses for human beings,I am ashamed our race could do such a thing to a defenceless animal,cowards with a serious warped mind have done this to a beautiful creature.
    I believe in Karma and these lowlifes will get it some day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

Lets just wait until these young thugs get brave enough to mug/kill a pensioner or harm a child (j bolger) before they are brought to task for their evil deeds.:rolleyes:........unnecessary crulety to harmless & defenceless animals should be ringing massive alarmbells with several state agencies at this point in time...

Cruelty to animals is a known indicator of violent crime against people in later life: http://www.pet-abuse.com/pages/abuse_connection.php

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭BANNERMAN98

im ashamed to admit i live in castleconnell where that swan was found and everyday i go there and bring bread with me. between the swans, ducks and seagulls its CHAOS but fun chaos, although earlier today was not fun. while throwing bread to them a woman and her son, just out from school came over to see them, nothing wrong with that. however her son proceeded to throw stones into the river where all the swans and ducks were gathered, he managed to hit a swan on the back and i stared at her but said nothing, i really regret now not speaking up. but i plan to watch out for them and report them the next time if i see it again. i highly question her parenting skills(very loose use of that word)

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Cityslicker1

I think Castleconnell is a very nice picturesque village, however there are lots of skangers like the ones you find in the city living down there which I found unusual for such a small place!In saying that the people that did this might not have been your stereotypical skobe!

• Registered Users Posts: 21 bef

Absolutely agree!

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭bernardo mac

Read about this killing and was sickened.Spent lots of time in Castleconnell area with family and the trusting, gathering birds were always a delight for adults and children and have fond memories of being there with loved ones,some now having passed on.The natural beauty in the region has always been a source of enjoyable recreation and a relief in recent years to the increasingly darkening mood of the suburban environment.Some parents are quite conscious of the misery their offspring inflict on their neighbours but neither correct nor direct the miscreants.They are complicit in the shocking deterioration and disintegration of community life in areas that not long ago would be regarded as secure and a pleasure to belong.I hope that Casleconnell and its environs are not now visited by the seeming unstoppable cancer of anti social, anti nature mayhem that I witnessed in the city. But no doubt this killing of innocence will,in time, return to plague the inventors,their families and unfortunately their good neighbours.

Advertisement