Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Data SIM options for the UK/NI

Options
  • 11-10-2012 9:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭

Hi there, are there any PAYG options for data in the UK that the unused credit doesn't expire every 30 days? I work up North and over in the UK from time to time and would like to carry a dongle for use when I'm roaming.

I'm with VF and lost the NI roaming with my last upgrade. The €2 per day is not so bad but I find myself always turning data off and not tethering unless I really have to. It affects work during the day sometimes and wifi in hotels etc at night can be very iffy when you most need it. (certain services blocked, poor coverage etc).

10stg for 30 days seems to be the best I can come across. I suppose I could use it if I knew I will be spending a few days together in the UK and just use the VF roaming if I'm just up North for a day.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

An Irish three sim will give you 15gb of data for €20 a month, which can be used on other H3G networks including the UK.

You could port to this as your main phone if possible? And then use the data that way. Their terms say tethering is not allowed, the same as your not meant to drive while using a phone ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

They give unlimited data for €20 not 15GB

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

Walkman wrote: »
    They give unlimited data for €20 not 15GB

Its subject to fair usage of 15gb every 30 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

jenno86 wrote: »
    Its subject to fair usage of 15gb every 30 days.

No its not. They say anyone who uses more than 15GB they MAY throttle their speeds but they will NOT charge for usage over 15GB thus not a fair usage policy more a request not to rip the ass out of it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭cargo

I have a VF dongle that I use for my BB here. I was thinking of going with the 3 one and get rid of the VF dongle altogether. I'd have the 3 service for at home but could also benifit from the free roaming in the UK but I do a lot of field work around the county and I find the VF quite good in most areas whereas I'd be wary of the 3 data service outside of the main urban areas.

Also a second question, I need a data sim (totally seperate issue) to send 1 email a day (<20kb) every day from a fixed location. Whats the cheapest option currently, can be PAYG or Billpay it doesnt matter. VF want 20e a month. i thought they had a 10e package but it must be done away with. girl in shop said 20e was smallest they do. Any ideas?

• Advertisement
Advertisement