Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Re-creating an extinct species(The Auroch)

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,160 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Thats interesting, I was expecting cloning or something. It's not really aurochs though if they breed a whole new species to fill their niche is it?

I only really heard about Aurochs in Game of Thrones/A Song of Ice and Fire for the first time :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,645 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Thats interesting, I was expecting cloning or something. It's not really aurochs though if they breed a whole new species to fill their niche is it?

I only really heard about Aurochs in Game of Thrones/A Song of Ice and Fire for the first time :D

They have alot of work to do if they are to re-creat an animal anywhere near as impressive as this species - it was a massive animal which was even bigger and heavier than a European Bison!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭Adam Khor

More aggressive too. This was the wild bull revered by everyone from Egyptians to Minoans, the ones that fought in the Roman circus. I agree with Mickeroo, tho. They will never be real aurochs. U-U

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

I am for cloning extinct species but I think we havent yet perfected cloning methods at this time. I would rather they perfect cloning and ancient DNA extraction though than reverse engineer existing species.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Hollzy

That's what I presumed it would be like when I saw the title of the thread. It seems strange doing it this way.

• Advertisement

This isn't recreating the Auroch but breeding a bovine to look like one.

However, I suppose it should be possible to find auroch DNA from various sources and try to reassemble a sequence. Then you could compare this with existing bovines, bisons etc to give an idea of what needs to be done and what the best natural starter animals are. Next could be a breeding programme, not based on the phenotype but on the genome, combined with selective gene modification. Embryos could be implanted into previous generation pre-aucochs. It would be a massive project taking decades and then what would we do with the Aurochs when we produce them. The habitats dont exist any more and nobody would tolerate a herd of wandering aurochs :))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

Damn inGen dont play god the t-rex was enough!!!!

Back in the real world,I think its a great idea,we should start cloning near extinct animals now and as they say practice makes perfect:pac:

Advertisement