Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FAE Subject choice

Options
  • 11-10-2012 5:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Hi Guys,

I have to choose my FAE optional choice pretty soon so was just looking for opinions and past experiences.

Just some quick background, I am in advisory in one of the big 4 and since I chose to go down the CAI route I am being left to my own accord in terms of subject choice. I completed CAP2's during the summer.

My feeling on things from outside FAE's:
    1) Audit -

Pros - Could be useful as I do internal audits roughly every 3 months across Europe. I primarily focus on process assessments and improvements per se but developing a keen eye for detail would definitely be beneficial.

Large number of students will be doing this so support in terms of case studies etc would probably be better.

Cons - Find the subject very boring and difficult to study for. Very difficult to study the practical application of things.

Note - I will not be applying for an auditing cert in the future.

2) APM

Pros - Seems interesting and may be applicable to my work.

Appears easier to pass (judging solely on pass rates)

Cons - I don't know much about the subject. I can't find real detail on it and the competency statement itself is very bare

May struggle to get notes as I do 50 -70% travel for work. I don't know if the lectures are streamed or not.

3) Tax - I wont be picking tax.

So any help would really help! Especially from those picking subjects or who have done it in the pass and completed the modules.

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭ted2767

Hippo1234 wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

I have to choose my FAE optional choice pretty soon so was just looking for opinions and past experiences.

Just some quick background, I am in advisory in one of the big 4 and since I chose to go down the CAI route I am being left to my own accord in terms of subject choice. I completed CAP2's during the summer.

My feeling on things from outside FAE's:
    1) Audit -

Pros - Could be useful as I do internal audits roughly every 3 months across Europe. I primarily focus on process assessments and improvements per se but developing a keen eye for detail would definitely be beneficial.

Large number of students will be doing this so support in terms of case studies etc would probably be better.

Cons - Find the subject very boring and difficult to study for. Very difficult to study the practical application of things.

Note - I will not be applying for an auditing cert in the future.

2) APM

Pros - Seems interesting and may be applicable to my work.

Appears easier to pass (judging solely on pass rates)

Cons - I don't know much about the subject. I can't find real detail on it and the competency statement itself is very bare

May struggle to get notes as I do 50 -70% travel for work. I don't know if the lectures are streamed or not.

3) Tax - I wont be picking tax.

So any help would really help! Especially from those picking subjects or who have done it in the pass and completed the modules.

Cheers!

I'm hoping to pick APM even thought I work in audit.
    Audit is awfully monotous and I have no intention in ever working in audit so an audit cert is not that big a deal to me.
    Were I you APM all the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Hippo1234

ted2767 wrote: »
    I'm hoping to pick APM even thought I work in audit.
    Audit is awfully monotous and I have no intention in ever working in audit so an audit cert is not that big a deal to me.
    Were I you APM all the way.

Is there any particular reason you are looking to do APM?

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭reo49

Because its a hell of a lot easier than the Audit elective!

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭tomfoolery60

Having done audit in the FAEs this year, I recommend that you do APM.

The audit elective requires much greater amounts of reading and material to cover (all of which is dry and technical) and the exam can require substantial amounts of transcription/drafting at times (silly "draft an opinion/engagement letter" indicators). It's also for the most part not that interesting. For all this you are rewarded with a signicantly harder exam and a commensurately lower pass rate.

As someone who works in audit and did well at CAP2 audit - my biggest regret this year was deciding to do the audit elective.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭ted2767

100% agree with last two posts.
    I would have much more motivation studying APM rather than Audit which would hopefully mean a better chance of passing.
    I also doubt it that I will ever work in audit again after my contract ends or at least I don't intend to do so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭ferike1

APM

/Thread

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Username2011

Just curious to know if many people are happy with APM now that it had the lowest pass rate of all the electives in 2012?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Hippo1234

Just curious to know if many people are happy with APM now that it had the lowest pass rate of all the electives in 2012?

It is still at a healthy 70% first time pass rate I believe so I would not be overly concerned about that. Also, if you have a bit more interest in a subject it would naturally be easier..hopefully anyhow!

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭notanocelot

If you are in Advisory then most of your colleagues will be doing, or have done, APM. I'd suggest asking them what it's like and if it's applicable to their work. It seems likely that there would be in-firm support for the advisory elective.

How did your audit exam for the CAP 2s go? If it went particularly well, or if you feel like it's a subject you instinctively 'get', only then would I suggest the audit elective.

Advertisement