Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"This copy of Windows is not genuine"

Options
  • 10-10-2012 2:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭

Started up my laptop this afternoon and was met with this message in the bottom right of my desktop.

Windows 7
    Build 7601
    This copy of Windows is not genuine

I bought the laptop new from a major online retailer about 2 years ago... everything is working fine so it just looks like a message.

I have googled and found many many conflicting results on what to do to solve this. Anyone on here have any experience of this and of what to do next?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,005 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

You will need to contact microsoft, provide them with the serial underneath the laptop and they will send you an unlock code. I think a freephone number for their activation dept appears if you go to activate offine so try that route, also moving to windows forum...

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭200motels

Access wrote: »
    Started up my laptop this afternoon and was met with this message in the bottom right of my desktop.

Windows 7
    Build 7601
    This copy of Windows is not genuine

I bought the laptop new from a major online retailer about 2 years ago... everything is working fine so it just looks like a message.

I have googled and found many many conflicting results on what to do to solve this. Anyone on here have any experience of this and of what to do next?
    I had this problem a few years back, I had bought a second hand laptop from a friend, as it turns out it wasn't a genuine version of windows 7, I had to buy a genuine copy from Microsoft which was more than I paid for the laptop. Lesson learned, you bought yours from new, did you at any stage reinstall windows 7?

Right-click Computer, go to Properties. Scroll down to the end and choose the "Change product key" option. Enter the product key from the sticker on the bottom of the laptop and see if it works. Otherwise you'll need to call Microsoft.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

It was bought new, and I have never had to reinstall windows so I am scratching my head on this one. Mind you though this message is now gone and only appeared after a recent regular windows update. :confused:

It's a dell I have so the fecking windows product key sticker is on the underneath of the laptop in line where you would rest it on your left knee, so the sticker is beyond reading at this stage. Might contact dell first with the service code of my laptop... See if they can do anything first, then failing that, I will contact Microsoft. Thanks for help on this one.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

it's a glitch ,
    if it's stopped asking after a reboot then it's most likely sorted itself out

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

As above, you still have your desktop background.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭col.in.Cr

Is the recovery partition still intact? are you able to do a factory restore?
    I would back up everything and do a factory restore if it keeps coming up.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

col.in.Cr wrote: »
    Is the recovery partition still intact? are you able to do a factory restore?
    I would back up everything and do a factory restore if it keeps coming up.
    Please don't advise someone to wipe windows on a whim.

at least have the decency to suggest why windows should be wiped

If a system has slowly decayed over time or has an insoluble problem then yeah it's an option.

if it's a problem that has only recently appeared as a result of windows updates or software install , then system restore is defo worth a shot before a wipe, ditto for SFC / SCANNOW

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭T-Bird

There's a program called Magical Jelly Bean that will show you your windows 7 key. Might be handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Gormal

Another usefull freebie is Aida32 old and now discontinued but very usefull

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,694 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Access wrote: »
    It's a dell I have so the fecking windows product key sticker is on the underneath of the laptop in line where you would rest it on your left knee, so the sticker is beyond reading at this stage..
    hence im in the habit of peeling that off and placing it under the dvd tray

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

Overheal wrote: »
    hence im in the habit of peeling that off and placing it under the dvd tray

Or, some place safe other than on the PC. All my software keys are also backed up on Lastpass.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,694 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Or, some place safe other than on the PC. All my software keys are also backed up on Lastpass.
    Usually in my email client, under multiple layers of 2-step verification

I usually photocopy the bottom of a laptop before installing.

All the serials numbers and more importantly you don't have to turn a laptop upside down while the drive is spinning.

Advertisement