Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anon posting

Options
  • 10-10-2012 12:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,059 ✭✭✭✭

Does anyone have any views on the anon posting facility that OldGoat has made an announcement on at the top of the forum?

There was an interesting thread in Personal Issues recently about a retired father who was refusing to get involved in any activity and was just spending his days sitting and doing nothing. It was surprising how many people identified with the situation.

It would have been an interesting thread to have had in O&O, but we did not have an anonymous posting facility, so we discussed it and OG has sorted it to have anon posting available to us.

We have great chat and reminiscences in the forum, but sometimes people do not wish to come over as complaining, or giving too much information about their personal life in public. So if anyone has issues about anything from pensions to personal they can be discussed here with some privacy.

You cannot be identified by any of us 'behind the scenes' which is why posts have to be pre-moderated - it is possible for the admins to access IP addresses, but not the rest of us, and they would only do that much in a situation where the system was being abused.

If you read the PI forum you will know the score, but the general rule is, anon threads are to be treated seriously and sympathetically, and stay on topic. They tend to be more closely moderated than open threads.

So, any thoughts? Is this the way to go? 'It may not be your problem today, but it could be someday' to quote Frankie Wassername.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Lexicographer

I didn't realize you can do that, but seems like a great idea to me. There are times we would all like to discuss issues without being identified. I have my own difficult personal circumstances that I don't always like to discuss with friends and family (or friendly in-laws) as not fair to drag them in, and it would be a help to discuss issues with those not directly involved. I have looked at some issues in personal relationships section and some of the replies people have given have seemed to me to be abusive, but assume from what you said moderators decide if can/cannot be posted then sounds good.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,059 ✭✭✭✭looksee

In fairness to the mods in PI, I have never seen any abusive replies that are allowed to remain in there. They might be 'tough-love', they might not be what the OP wants to hear, but they are not approved or allowed to remain unless they are considered and appropriate.

While posts are usually sympathetic to the OP's problem, they are asking for advice and opinions and there is no point pretending to agree with them if you feel that there is another angle that could be considered. If you post asking for opinions you have to accept that you may get some that you do not agree with.

Posters can reply anon or under their name. If they reply under their user name those posts will appear immediately. If these posts are inappropriate or offensive they will be moderated and offenders infracted or banned depending on the seriousness. Anon threads will be strictly moderated.

Edit: just on the rest of your post Lexicographer, I think a lot of people have issues of one sort or another, and one of the greatest benefits is to understand that you are not alone, there are other people who have just the same situation and can discuss how to deal, or at least put up with it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Mollywolly

I think it's a great idea. I've been having to deal with a few problems over the years and have looked at the PI forum, but what's put me off has been the average age of posters in there. I'm not sure that they would identify with stuff that hits you as you get older - no offence to the young 'uns intended ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

I agree with Mollywolly. PI isn't really geared towards us more "mature" (;)) users.

I read the forum sometimes and Ive often thought....hmmmm Ive a jumper older than you!!! :cool:

I think its a great idea here to be able to post anonymously.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

If I wanted to ask advice on something I was embarrassed about I think it could be a great idea.

The obvious subjects would be medical and financial I suppose, and in such situations it could prove to be good. Just as long as it is not abused.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Just on that note, asking for or offering medical advice is a strict NoNo. Thats Boards.ie policy.
    I'm sure you'll all be pressing the 'Report' button if you see that happening.
    Anacdotial or personal health history is OK but don't go telling people thay have a cold unless you are a qualified doctor and have met the patient face to face for a proper examination...and don't do it on Boards.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

I'd say what Rube meant was being able to talk about our various aches and pains ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Ah sure I know that but it was a good place to acquaint people with policy. :-)

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I think its a good idea, although I have to say that I've been to PI and received good support there and couldn't tell or guess the age of those replying. However, it is true that outside O & O's the world tends to be a younger place. And we in here know that they out there will be facing our terrors in the future, but they can't grasp that, yet! In here is cosy.

Advertisement