Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

finding an elusive word doc!

Options
  • 10-10-2012 11:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭

Hi,
    I recently saved a web page as a read only doc when closing it ( not too sure how) but when I do a search (by double clicking Ctrl , it is showing up as a htm file) problem is I cannot delete or edit and it is to do with my wifes x-mas pressie and I dont want to ruin the suprise.My computer is on xp if this helps?
    anyone ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

If you saved it there should be no ownership problems so you should be able delete it the same as you delete any file.

If you highlight the file and press shift + delete it will delete it without putting it in the recycle bin so there is no danger of it being restored.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭jimbooth

problem is it wont highlight and it isnt showing up in any folders when I try to do a search, have tried all folders and files but no luck, only shows up when you search on the double Ctrl click search window

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

It would seem that when using the Google search box it searches the internet as well as your computer. Presumably the htm file is on the internet or cached somewhere in google search in which case you cannot delete it as it is not yours to delete.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

which browser ?
    in Firefox and IE Crtl-J shows downloads
    you could look in history to see where the page was
    in Firefox you can delete individual pages in history

go into file , save or Save as to find out which folder it's likely to be in

which version of windows ?
    older versions allow you to search by date if you can remember when you downloaded - don't put in the document type

For future reference Shift, Ctrl , P activates private browsing on most browsers these days - very handy if viewing email or anything that requires a login on someone else's computer or they on yours

• Registered Users Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭200motels

which browser ?
    in Firefox and IE Crtl-J shows downloads
    Thanks for that, didn't know the shortcut for that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,012 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

ctrl+J works for Chrome too btw

Advertisement