Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Network Question

Options
  • 10-10-2012 9:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,429 ✭✭✭✭

I was considering using homeplugs to transfer data between a PC upstairs and a media center by the TV. The modem/router is seperate in the hallway.

My question is: The modem/router has only 10/100 router capabilites however I was going to get 500mpbs homeplugs. if the media center "contacts" the PC, does all data go through the modem/router and hence get constrained by the 10/100 or does it contact direct and hence a lot faster speed?
    I know this is probably a very simple question but excuse my ignorance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,540 ✭✭✭swampgas

TheDriver wrote: »
    I was considering using homeplugs to transfer data between a PC upstairs and a media center by the TV. The modem/router is seperate in the hallway.

My question is: The modem/router has only 10/100 router capabilites however I was going to get 500mpbs homeplugs. if the media center "contacts" the PC, does all data go through the modem/router and hence get constrained by the 10/100 or does it contact direct and hence a lot faster speed?
    I know this is probably a very simple question but excuse my ignorance!

The bandwidth limitation will be determined by the weakest link in the chain - if the packets pass at any time through the router/switch, then it will likely be limited to 100mb/s. Which should be plenty for most things anyway.

I suspect that there is no guarantee that the homeplugs will give you the full 500mb/s either, it might well depend on the way your house is wired ...

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭druidhill

If it was a one off transfer of lots of data and if the network cards and cables are up to it aswell, you could try using the homeplugs only (take the modem/router/switch out of it altogether).

If it is for a regular connection between the two PCs (which I suspect is your requirement), then you are down to the same speed as the modem/router.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 lynch.ie

My question is: The modem/router has only 10/100 router capabilites however I was going to get 500mpbs homeplugs.

I personaly would be happy with 10/100 speeds and wouldnt bother with the high speed data plugs.

Consider how fast your computers can read / write the data being transfared.

Top of the range SSD hard drives record around the 500mbps range but standard desktop hard disks will write data around the 100mb mark so having the super fast 500mbps network transfare speeds in this situation wont translate into 500mbps from point to point even without your router/switch bottleneck. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

lynch.ie wrote: »
    My question is: The modem/router has only 10/100 router capabilites however I was going to get 500mpbs homeplugs.

I personaly would be happy with 10/100 speeds and wouldnt bother with the high speed data plugs.

Consider how fast your computers can read / write the data being transfared.

Top of the range SSD hard drives record around the 500mbps range but standard desktop hard disks will write data around the 100mb mark so having the super fast 500mbps network transfare speeds in this situation wont translate into 500mbps from point to point even without your router/switch bottleneck. :D

You're comparing MBps and Mbps, two very different things. 100Mbps = ~12MegaBytes/sec and average sata drives are about 70MegaBytes/sec write + upgrading to 500(which you wont get) makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

swampgas wrote: »

The bandwidth limitation will be determined by the weakest link in the chain - if the packets pass at any time through the router/switch, then it will likely be limited to 100mb/s. Which should be plenty for most things anyway.

I suspect that there is no guarantee that the homeplugs will give you the full 500mb/s either, it might well depend on the way your house is wired ...
    Have those homeplugs, you get 300/400 mb/s usually, though I've a gigabyte ethernet router

• Advertisement
Advertisement