Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back to education Registration fee

Options
  • 09-10-2012 10:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭

Ok I'm applying to go to NUIG next year and since Ive done first year already in an IT Ive been told I'm not eligible for the grant, the question I have will I have to pay the registration fee since I will be eligible for the bte

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

Yes, you will have to pay it. BTEA is basically the dole while in college - so you'll get the €188 each week and a one off payment of €300 for Cost of Education Allowance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Thats what I was thinking :(, time to start saving

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭saltyporridge

It depends on how long ago you finished that first year in the IT - if it is 5 years or more from the date you start your
    new course you might qualify for free tuition fees under the Free Fees Scheme (you'll need to confirm this with the new college) and the student contribution from SUSI. It's not clear from your first post if this will apply to you but it might help.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Dores

For how long you can receive BTEA? Is it for the same like Jobseeker Benefit eg 9/12 months?

Dores wrote: »
    For how long you can receive BTEA? Is it for the same like Jobseeker Benefit eg 9/12 months?

You get BTEA for the period of time you attend the course, eg, Sept to May for 3rd level.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

It depends on how long ago you finished that first year in the IT - if it is 5 years or more from the date you start yournew course you might qualify for free tuition fees under the Free Fees Scheme (you'll need to confirm this with the new college) and the student contribution from SUSI. It's not clear from your first post if this will apply to you but it might help.

Yeah Ive already been informed of this, but since its only been 3, I can either pay next year or do 2 more years of travelling then join up, the only thing about that is id be 29 starting in college

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Dores

Maldesu wrote: »
    You get BTEA for the period of time you attend the course, eg, Sept to May for 3rd level.

thanks , but can you clarify...Every year or just the first year of college?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭PickledLime

astonaidan wrote: »
    Ok I'm applying to go to NUIG next year and since Ive done first year already in an IT Ive been told I'm not eligible for the grant, the question I have will I have to pay the registration fee since I will be eligible for the bte

Erm, watch out that they don't go looking for your registration PLUS the tuition fees as you've already completed(?) a first year in third level.

That'll set you back a cool figure just shy of €4,500.

Dores wrote: »
    thanks , but can you clarify...Every year or just the first year of college?

You will get it every year but you will have to show your registered for attendance at the beginning of Sept to start the payments.

Advertisement