Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas lights up already!

Options
  • 09-10-2012 5:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭

I was driving through Limerick today and saw that the Christmas lights have already been put up on O'Connell street and all the main shopping streets.

We are only at the start of October!Is this some super lame attempt by the council to get people in shopping??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭Harpy

panda100 wrote: »
    I was driving through Limerick today and saw that the Christmas lights have already been put up on O'Connell street and all the main shopping streets.

We are only at the start of October!Is this some super lame attempt by the council to get people in shopping??

They always put them up before Halloween, they wont be turned on for ages though..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,242 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

BAH HUMBUG :P

• Registered Users Posts: 23,723 ✭✭✭✭phog

It takes about 3 weekends to put them up, so some of them go up early. As has been stated they wont be switched on for a while.

Even if they were, what's wrong with a bit of colour anyway. I'd much prefer them on then no lights, but then we'd have another chance for a rant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I like the Christmas lights,once the evenings close in it will be dreary and miserable. I think Limerick does a good job with the Christmas lights and it makes trudging around town in the piddling rain and cold that little bit less tedious.

Think about the difference you notice in January when they're switched off and everything is bleak and dreary and depressing. That lovely time of the year when the bills start to come in and I turn 40:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

I saw an illuminated Santa in a garden in Cork today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Roadend

aujopimur wrote: »

Was he holding his doctorate or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭europa11

Consider yourself fortunate OP.

I remember one year our great and glorious Council actually forgot to take them down. By the time someone noticed and the fact was highlighted in the local press (around September iirc) it wasn't worthwhile sending crews out so they ended up leaving the lights up for the entire year :D

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

They should do something with year round lights, look at how well illuminated William St is, and its a dump of a street shop wise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

aujopimur wrote: »

tell me where so I can bust it up. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭ZombieBride

What bugs me about this is the decorations they have put up on Patrick Street are missing bows and ribbons, so they just look like a mass of green, surely it would have been wiser to make sure the decorations have all the trimmings before they go up. I hope they fixed that horses leg this year and took notes of the other broken bulbs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭BobbyPropane

What bugs me about this is the decorations they have put up on Patrick Street are missing bows and ribbons, so they just look like a mass of green, surely it would have been wiser to make sure the decorations have all the trimmings before they go up. I hope they fixed that horses leg this year and took notes of the other broken bulbs.

Its amazing how one broken bulb can make the whole thing look bad! Love the lights in Limerick anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭bernardo mac

krudler wrote: »
    They should do something with year round lights, look at how well illuminated William St is, and its a dump of a street shop wise.
    Sad to say the street has lost its former quality.Loud" music",bling n glitz now:(

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Front of the weekend edition of the Limerick Leader has an article which says that they have put the €500k lights up early in case of bad weather later in the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

The horse with one leg not lighting up and the deer with one antler not lighting up have been that way for a few years now. Would almost look wrong now to see the horse with all it's legs lit up :)

I doubt that the bulbs are checked before being put up tbh as there are too many faulty ones each year for them to have been properly checked beforehand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭limklad

europa11 wrote: »
    Consider yourself fortunate OP.

I remember one year our great and glorious Council actually forgot to take them down. By the time someone noticed and the fact was highlighted in the local press (around September iirc) it wasn't worthwhile sending crews out so they ended up leaving the lights up for the entire year :D
    The year that Christmas never left. I can see the movie now.

Baaaaa humbug!!!

I know many pubs in the county where the Christmas lights are a permanent features. The Christmas tree do disappear for most of the year though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭Harpy

I saw two christmas trees in dublin airport today :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

limklad wrote: »
    The year that Christmas never left. I can see the movie now.

I know many pubs in the county where the Christmas lights are a permanent features. The Christmas tree do disappear for most of the year though.

The Christmas lights have been up in Rathkeale all year.

The lights are on on Upper William Street right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

The lights are on on Upper William Street right now.

What?You mean the lights are actually on?

What?You mean the lights are actually on?

Yeah! I just drove past them, they are on, I wonder if the powers that be know?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭SuperWoody101

Picture taken today (15/10/12)

62565_10151487891002178_626874297_n.jpg

Thanks Superwoody :D see I hadn't imagined it.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭MomijiHime

I also saw the lights on today in Limerick... maybe they were just testing? Halloween isn't even here yet.

MomijiHime wrote: »
    I also saw the lights on today in Limerick... maybe they were just testing? Halloween isn't even here yet.

I went for a bit of a walk around town tonight and those were the only lights I seen turned on.

So how much did we the tax payer pay in electricity for those last night?!

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭johnmolloy554

So how much did we the tax payer pay in electricity for those last night?!

Would you prefer if there were no Christmas lights for 2012 due to local authority funding issues? Or because of cutbacks, the Christmas lights for 2012 can't be tested so if they are turned on in mid-November and areas don't light up properly, so be it......

This forum is increasingly the most depressing forum on the Regions threads section of Boards.ie.

My post was tongue in cheek, but surely they would test them on the Sundays when they put them up? surely this would be logical, but logic to me would have them properly decorated before they get put up at all, that ship has passed though.

I think the reason the lights on William street are on is because they're each wired directly from the individual street lights. So they come on when the street lights do. All the other lighting in town would be wired independently so they can be powered on at a set time later in the year.

There off now!

• Advertisement

I've proven myself wrong. Passed Bedford row yesterday morning and they were on with the street lights off!

Advertisement