Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can a bank access a person's account and take mortgage arrears?

Options
  • 09-10-2012 2:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭

If a person was in arrears of mortgage and they received a large redundancy payment, could the bank take the redundancy payment out of one account and use it to pay themselves the mortgage arrears?

Apologies if this is not a legal question, it seems to fall between legal and financial.

Comments

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tom Young

It depends on the terms of the mortgage and your banking arrangements.

Set-off is commonplace in banking practice so if the default was severe then yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Tiradon

If you're paying your mortgage by Direct Debit, you've essentially given the bank permission to take what is due to them at a given point in time (rather than a Standing Order where you would have control over what is paid). So in short, if sufficient funds appear in your account, they could apply for and receive them.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Condatis

When opening an account you should consider whether set-off is appropriate in the circumstances under which your accounts operate.

Set-off may suit the bank but if you have funds in one account which you intend to apply to a particular purpose (ie Revenue) a set-off funds transfer could cause difficulties.

It is my practice, where there is a box to allow or not allow set-off I don't tick it. If there is a clause in the Terms and Conditions permitting set-off I strike it out before signing the mandate.

That said; in many circumstances set-off would be standard practice. However, you do need to be aware that it could be applied without notice. Should that not suit you use a different bank for the funds that you want to keep separate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

It is always a good idea to keep your mortgage and current account in separate banks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭HellFireClub

It is always a good idea to keep your mortgage and current account in separate banks.

Most valuable legal opinion I've ever read on this site! :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Regardless whether they can or not they will obviously know about the money and you will at the very least have to conjure up a pretty good reason why you wouldn't want to pay up now I imagine. Which may of course play a role with regards to any lenience the bank will show towards your situation in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭WhatNowForUs?

Most valuable legal opinion I've ever read on this site! :cool:
    Until the bank buys or is given your Mortgage company.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

Thanks to you all, this has been helpful.

Advertisement