Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To TRIM or not to TRIM

Options
  • 08-10-2012 11:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭

No I'm not talking about a town in Co. Meath !

I decided to inject a bit of life into my 1.86GHz Core Duo MBP today and bought a 120GB OZC Vertex Plus R2 SSD for it. So far I'm very impressed with the performance.

The drive has Trim support but my OS doesn't. There's a Trim add-on for Snow Leopard but I'm not sure if it's reliable. Lots of warnings on the site regarding it's reliability or otherwise. I have 10.6.8 installed by the way. It seems Apple supplied SSD drives from that era have Trim support automatically.

Is it really necessary or can I survive without it ? What are the ultimate consequences if I disregard this feature ?

Any advice much appreciated.

Ken

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,019 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

I didn't bother enabling it for my Crucial M4. The consequences are decreased performance over time, in particular, write speeds but despite getting a lot of use with lots of writes over time, mine is stil writing at 260MB/s.

I'm guessing that either its not as big an issue as people say or the passive garbage collection on my SSD is good enough. Perhaps you sound Google what its like for yours? That drive uses a Sandforce based controller.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

I wouldn't touch that Trim Enabler program with a 50foot barpole.

If you google you can find terminal instructions to achieve the same thing.

But to be honest I wouldn't bother - I put an OCZ vertex drive into my core duo MBP and a year later its still screamingly fast

Advertisement