Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leopardstown Heights

Options
  • 08-10-2012 10:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

We currently view a house in Leopardstown Heights in Mount Eagle View. The place is amazing in terms of scenery and the house is pretty big plus great value. We don't know the are very well and wondering if any is currently living in the area especially in Mount Eagle View. Why are houses around the area cheap and why are so many people selling? Can you also suggest good areas in Leopardstown or Sandyford?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,855 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I have only been in one of the houses before. I was visiting a rented property. I think the main issue with them is they are very small inside and they are not well insulated or sound proofed as noise from adjoining houses is very obvious

I know the estate does have problems with traffic rat-running and all day parking for the Luas congesting it. Perhaps noise from the M50 and the tramline causes a disturbance at night? I would also be careful if the house backs onto undeveloped land, you should research what the zoning is for potential building in the future

I dont see why they should be too cheap though, its beside the Luas, close to Sandyford and although it doesnt have shops on its doorstep there are good local shops and supermarkets a few minutes drive in any direction. If you could afford to extend and insulate the house why not grab a bargain.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭manbat

I could have been viewing the same property a few weeks back when 3 young lads about 15/16 years of age thought it was a great idea to introduce me to the area by throwing stones at my car as i came into the estate...

House was lovely but area crossed off my list for the future. This could be why so many leaving wouldnt know enough about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

I live in Leopardstown Heights and have NEVER had or seen kids throwing stones. If I did I would get out and correct them, and to be fair to the kids in the estate they actually do take correction.

The estate is quiet with a very strong residents committee. I think the reason for the houses being on the market is that at the height of the boom they were going for €750k and there are some people in the estate who can no longer afford the mortgages. Thankfully we bought before then.

The green area is lovely, I walk my dogs through it every evening and find it to be a great amenity. The Multi use Games Arena is constantly in use and the kids play ground gives a place of focus for the younger kids. I feel safe walking in the estate and it's surroundings, including after dark.

Every year there are a number of community events such as the annual estate clean up complete with barbeque and a soccer tournament for the kids.

The estate is right on the Luas giving you access to town, whilst also being walking distance to the countryside.

Being out every evening I have met many other neighbours and find them all to be very pleasant and friendly. In fact visiting friends remark on how nice an area it is. Whilst friendly nobody is in your business or face, but they will offer help if they think it's needed. Mine are the type that cut our lawn when they do their own, and we do the same for them. We cleaned our gutters and their at the same time.

I couldn't recommend it highly enough. Our house isn't huge, it does have a corner site so we could extend if we wanted. Most of the houses have the attics already converted. We have no issue with noise insulation, as the houses were built in the 80's they are durable.

The rat run traffic has all but gonbe with the new road layout and as we live very close to the Luas I can say that whilst there are some cars parking there, it is not too bad. Should it become too bad there is an agreement between the residents committee and the county council to look at measures to reduce it. So far this has not been needed.

Should we ever move we would certainly hope to stay in the area.

I hope OP to meet you some day should you decide to buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭manbat

barbiegirl wrote: »
    I live in Leopardstown Heights and have NEVER had or seen kids throwing stones. If I did I would get out and correct them, and to be fair to the kids in the estate they actually do take correction.

Can only go by what I seen that day, they could have been passing through or they could have been residents, either way its made my mind up about the area.

Nice to know you're keeping this area in check and ruling with an iron fist, has to be done in troublesome little spots like these, I'd be the same myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

manbat wrote: »
    Can only go by what I seen that day, they could have been passing through or they could have been residents, either way its made my mind up about the area.

Nice to know you're keeping this area in check and ruling with an iron fist, has to be done in troublesome little spots like these, I'd be the same myself.

Yep that's me strong arm of the law, all 5' 7" of me :rolleyes: To re-iterate this is not a troublesome spot. I'm sorry if you encountered an issue but it is NOT typical.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13 Johnny The Fox

I seen this query and I had to post.

I'm sorry Barbiegal but I lived in Mount Eagle Estate for a number of years and I found the area to be mildly bothersome, its not predominantly people within Mount Eagle itself, its the surrounding areas of Ballyogan and Moreen Park that brings the trouble into the estate. I found alot of teenagers drinking and smoking illegal substances, particularly around the Luas at Glencairn which was quite off putting.

My partner was also quite intimidated getting off the Luas at night on a regular basis, as they were subject to abuse by the teens that were hanging around there. We had have our car scratched with keys a number of times as well.

Although it was not really a major factor in us deciding to move elsewhere it did play a part. You should look at Stillorgan and Dundrum for possible properties, although they may be a bit pricier, you can be safe in the knowledge that they are superior areas,especially for young families. Hope this helps OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 angela75

This thread was pointed out to me by a neighbour and I have to say that I come down on Barbiegirls side. There are bad estates in every area, including Dundrum and Stillorgan. Leopardstown Heights isn't one of them. I've never experienced anti-social behaviour. (Yes I did join boards specifically to say that, though I think I might stick around :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

I don't live in LH but I do live in the area and have friends living in LH. Without a doubt it is one of the better estates in the area and you can tell that from a walk through alone.

Well as I said above we found the area to be troublesome and have since moved to a nicer area, but each to their own. For the extra couple of thousand, I'd prefer to live in an area I know to have no trouble personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭larry1

Well as I said above we found the area to be troublesome and have since moved to a nicer area, but each to their own. For the extra couple of thousand, I'd prefer to live in an area I know to have no trouble personally.

Troll :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

larry1 wrote: »

Troll :rolleyes:

Troll? Because I had a bit of bother in the area? The op asked for an opinion on the area and I gave it same as the people above, am I not entitled to give it because you don't agree with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭omck80

I also lived in Mount Eagle for a number of years. While not the worst of estates I did get broken into which has gone on a lot. Also one night the play ground on the green was set fire to and one night I was woken up with drunk teenagers banging on my door looking to come into my house to hid from garda.
    They maybe from neighbouring estates but it still happened.

The committee do a good job with clean up and Santa visits etc but there is no denying there can be trouble in the estate.

OP if you are on FB visit Leopardstown Heights page and you will see reports from residents about attempted break in etc.

Good Luck with your house hunting.

Advertisement