Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

can you recommend windows 7 dlna client please?

Options
  • 08-10-2012 10:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭

im using ps3 media server to stream from my windows 7 pc to my ps3 and to my bluray player which is dlna compatible. this is working fine without issue.

i am trying to access the same server from another windows 7 pc. windows media player isnt playing ball for me and just not detecting it. vlc is detecting it but taking ages (5 mins or more) to list the directory.

anyone offer any suggestions for a decent free windows 7 dlna client which might not have these problems?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,925 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

You're having problems streaming a video/music file from one PC to another?

If both are on the same homegroup and have their sharing turned on this shouldn't be a major issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

i dont want to use a homegroup. my bluray player downstairs doesnt need to be in a homegroup and can access the dlna server on my pc fine.

are you suggesting i need the homegroup active for some reason? i dont understand why.

thanks

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/products/features/remote-media-streaming

You have two, maybe three options. The most sensible one is to use a Homegroup, which will take full advantage of your LAN connection. And allows homegroup users access to public folders ( if you switch this on). I've always gotten my media players to behave very well with this, even on full resolution streams.

The other involves Windows Media Player streaming over the internet to the other PC. Not ideal: consumes data on tiered internet plans and is ultimately a chokepoint on throughput. (Similarly I suppose you can also now use the Fetch feature of Skydrive)

The third might be doable but I'm not at home to test: go into a folders properties and enable Advanced Share settings. Take note of the network address and use it to add a network location to the other PC.

If you don't mind my asking why are you resistant to using Homegroup settings?

im not sure you are understanding the problem here fully. i have a server setup already. its streaming to my bluray player fine using the application "ps3 media server" on my pc. it also streams fine to my pc.

my problem is that in vlc on another pc on the network it is taking forever to go through the directory listing and each time i exit it needs to almost refresh it and this takes a min of 5 mins each time.

To answer your question I recommend XBMC. Accesses DLNA and UPNP servers just fine. Or any of the XBMC based spin-offs.

• Advertisement

i suppose i should have said too that i want the option of using a win xp computer on it too. overheal you are suggesting i use the inbuilt win7 server instead of the ps3 media server app regardless and suggesting that this should have the knock on effect of meaning no problems with the other win7 client pc?

i will try that out now scum too and see.

thanks

Random wrote: »
    i suppose i should have said too that i want the option of using a win xp computer on it too. overheal you are suggesting i use the inbuilt win7 server instead of the ps3 media server app regardless and suggesting that this should have the knock on effect of meaning no problems with the other win7 client pc?
    Unless the PS3 program does something inherently special there should be no reason that the PS3 Server and the Homegroup can't operate concurrently as two different media sharing technologies.

DLNA has a couple of frustratingly different 'tiers'. For instance, a DLNA player can fetch media from a server, but a DLNA Renderer can do that, in addition to receiving "pushed" files - you can push a file from windows media player (meaning you send it from the PC to the TV without touching the TV; vs. say having to navigate the file structure with your PS3). I found this out one long afternoon trying to replicate some of the stuff I can do at work on my old man's new $4000 Television: had he got an LG over a Samsung, it would've worked gravy.

ill fiddle about some more with it and see how i get on i suppose. thanks

Advertisement