Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oil Fulled back burning stove installation

Options
  • 08-10-2012 8:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi all,

I am looking for some response of anyone who has installed an Oil Fulled back burning stove (i.e fed by kerosene tank, heating water and rads). The house is a 3 bed semi detached built around 1960 with a small extension so poor installation is a given and heat loss etc. Plans to improve insulation however.

The current system is a oil boiler CH system, heating 10 rads at present. The plan is to remove the boiler and have a back burning stove fitted in the kitchen of the house fed directly by the kerosene tank to heat the living area (kitchen) and also the rads and water for the entire house. (2 storey house).

The future plan is to incorporate solar panels to help the system be more efficient but that will be a year or so down the line.

What i am looking for is anyone in the same situation who has retrofitted one to an old house and what kW is required etc (i am assuming an 8kW stove will be sufficient but have been told i will need an 18kW). The saving they have found compared to say a multifuel stove or any informed opinions.

I am an engineer so have little practical experience when it comes to plumbing electrical other than a keen DIYer.
    The work will be carried out by qualified plumbers/builder etc but i'm just doing some research before i commit to my decision.

Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Billy Bunting

Plumbing section would be your best bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 bpm89

Cheers Billy was still getting the hang of it when i posted this its now posted in the Stoves Q&A any views are greatly appreciated.

Advertisement