Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend New Wheels

Options
  • 08-10-2012 7:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭

I have a 2008 Vitus Razor Triple, and someone decided to give the back wheel a bit of a bash while it was in my apartment lockup. So I'm looking for either a new back wheel or maybe a set.

The wheels are the original ones I got with the bike so the two of them could do with an upgrade. The bike itself was pretty cheap and I wont be doing huge mileage so I don't think I want to spend a fortune on wheels.

The numbers on the tyres are 700 x 23c - can anyone recommend a set? Could you include links as I've no idea what I'm looking for! Another thing - do the tyres and tubes normally come with the wheels - or do I have to buy them separately?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Tyres and tubes are separate. Mavic Equipe or Ksyrium wheels are good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭route66

Keedowah wrote: »
    I have a 2008 Vitus Razor Triple, and someone decided to give the back wheel a bit of a bash while it was in my apartment lockup. So I'm looking for either a new back wheel or maybe a set.

The wheels are the original ones I got with the bike so the two of them could do with an upgrade. The bike itself was pretty cheap and I wont be doing huge mileage so I don't think I want to spend a fortune on wheels.

The numbers on the tyres are 700 x 23c - can anyone recommend a set? Could you include links as I've no idea what I'm looking for! Another thing - do the tyres and tubes normally come with the wheels - or do I have to buy them separately?

I'd say the cheapest new, decent wheels would be the Shimano R501s. The cheapest place for a set of these is probably Rosebikes @ €79 + shipping - link An alternative is to buy some handbuilt wheels from them - I bought these sturdy items: link for €137 + shipping. Bearing in mind the age/value of your bike, I would consider both of these to be sensible if slightly boring options - i.e. no bling aero proprietary spokes, deep rims, etc.

As above, you will need to buy tyres and tubes separately. Many consider these to be the best compromise tyre for a roadbike @ €27.95 + shipping link. These tubes would work @ 3.90 each: link

All the links above are for Rosebikes in Germany. Have a read of a thread I put together for tips on how to save money if ordering from them: link

Oh, and the above are - I think - reasonable recommendations. But there are loads of other options - different suppliers and different wheels, tyres, etc. Let's just say I either have spent - or would consider spending - my own money on what I list above.

Advertisement