Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reclaim taxes on online shopping?

Options
  • 08-10-2012 5:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭

Hi all
    I bought a dress online from the US for $144 + $44 shipping. I paid all the customs and VAT taxes to UPS (€80). The dress doesn't fit and I want to return it. Is there a procedure for reclaiming taxes paid if I return the dress? If I want to reclaim tax, do I have to ship back to the US via courier? Or should I cut my losses and return via post to the US to retrieve the $144 and forget about the taxes paid?

Thanks
    Monica

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Xzen

The Vat/Duty office would be the 1st place to report a returned item.

Theres a department on the revenue website which might be what your looking for:

* Civil Aviation (customs aspects); Returned Goods; Reliefs from duty
    * Phone 1890 66 63 33 / (067) 63400 / Ext. 63229 or 63380 /067 32381
    * email customsreliefs@revenue.ie

http://www.revenue.ie/en/contact/customs-division.html

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Monsclara

Xzen wrote: »
    The Vat/Duty office would be the 1st place to report a returned item.

Theres a department on the revenue website which might be what your looking for:

* Civil Aviation (customs aspects); Returned Goods; Reliefs from duty
    * Phone 1890 66 63 33 / (067) 63400 / Ext. 63229 or 63380 /067 32381
    * email customsreliefs@revenue.ie

http://www.revenue.ie/en/contact/customs-division.html

Thanks -I'll look into that one

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Off topic a bit, and you probably know this, but just in case, dress sizes can vary around the world. So a US size 10 is much larger than an Irish/UK size 10.

Then you have the problem of "vanity sizing", where a particular company gives a lower size label than it really is, in the hope that the buyer will think "I'm only a size 8 wow, I really like these levis jeans"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vanity_sizing

Then some are just different sizes for no reason, googling can help. e.g. shimano cycling shoes known as being smaller than normal for the quoted size.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Monsclara

rubadub wrote: »
    Off topic a bit, and you probably know this, but just in case, dress sizes can vary around the world. So a US size 10 is much larger than an Irish/UK size 10.

Then you have the problem of "vanity sizing", where a particular company gives a lower size label than it really is, in the hope that the buyer will think "I'm only a size 8 wow, I really like these levis jeans"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vanity_sizing

Then some are just different sizes for no reason, googling can help. e.g. shimano cycling shoes known as being smaller than normal for the quoted size.

Thanks. Yes, am familiar with the international sizing - it was more like "vanity imagination" than "vanity sizing"!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 173 ✭✭LasTime

I got charged €104 for duty and VAT when I purchased some clothes from the neimanmarcus.com. The total for the clothes
    was €287. €104 seems a bit much for this value. I don't think I can ever remember getting charged Duty & VAT before. Is it something that hppens only on ocassion when they do a spot check?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

LasTime wrote: »
    I got charged €104 for duty and VAT
    Duty limit is €150 before it is applied, VAT will be applied to your postage costs too. And courier/an post admin fees for handling customs.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Orlock

Hi there,

I purchased some items from USA, and receioved them, but sizes are all wrong and I need to return the items for credit, anyone know where I go to reclaim the duty paid to the courier when I received the shipment originally ?

Advertisement