Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Irish on The Bounty

Options
  • 08-10-2012 5:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭

Does anyone happen to know if any Irish people served on the Bounty? I know Bligh built a harbour wall in Dublin.I read 'The Book of Fecking Irish Trivia' which said John Adams was from Derry, but when I googled him it said he was from England. I know the book is hardly an academic work, but they must have got this from somewhere.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

From memory most of the crew had a strong Isle of Man connection; Fletcher Christian’s family were Manx as was Bligh’s wife. At the time of Bligh's breadfruit voyage it is estimated that only 3% of RN sailors were Irish (a figure based on the three Quota Acts of the late 1700's), so a couple of Bounty's +/- 50 crew probably were Irish.

Subsequently Bligh surveyed Dublin Bay, the harbour walls were the work of others. He did suggest that the addition of a North Bull to the existing South Bull would help clear the Liffey Bar. The attachment in the post below shows a map that predates Bligh's survey by almost a hundred years.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=79098876&postcount=10

Advertisement