Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New to vaping - it's all very confusing

Options
  • 08-10-2012 2:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭

OK, I've been using Greensmoke cartridges for about 4/5 months now and am managing to steer clear of tobacco. I've been browsing this thread for a few days and reckon there's not many using Greensmoke and I might be missing out on a better product as I still miss the ciggies (had a couple of fags two weeks ago).
    However, if anything there's too much information out there. I'm totally confused as to what my best options are. Any chance anybody can simplify things for me? Do experienced vapourers rate Greensmoke or any of the cartridge based products? And what would you recommend as an alternative that's as close to the real thing as possible?
    Sorry, I know how annoying n00bs can be.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭DirtyBollox

this thread here shows the best set up for vaping. as you are already on the greensmoke you should be fine with this. also as you said you miss the smokes you may need to up the nicotine strength of the cartridges or if you go with the noob cart then up the juice strength.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭jakdublin

Cheers for that. Would I need a manual or something? Dunno how all that works with clearomizers, atomisers, heads etc.

No manual needed. basically charge the battery, put the head (bit with the wicks) into the tank (screws in) and fill with juice up to the mark. screw the mouthpiece on and screw the tank onto the battery. press the button and vape away. rinses and repeat as necessary :)

No manual needed. basically charge the battery, put the head (bit with the wicks) into the tank (screws in) and fill with juice up to the mark. screw the mouthpiece on and screw the tank onto the battery. press the button and vape away. rinses and repeat as necessary :)

That'll do. Even I can follow that.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭newmark

Its not as complicated as we all think at the start and as you go along you will figure it out.:)

The important thing to remember is the batteries are 510 threading in that kit that dirtybollocks pointed out to you as are most of the devices on the market today and you can get any cartomiser, atomiser or clearomiser with a 510 connection to work with them.

Them batteries also give a maximum output of 3.7volts and due to that its also best to stick with atomisers/clearomisers/cartomisers with a resistance of no more than 2.4ohms. I find about 1.8 ohms works good with them.
    If the resistance was any higher than 2.4ohms you would probably then need a variable voltage device to get the desired kick.

A good idea as well when your purchasing anything or thinking of purchasing anything is to do a quick youtube search and have a look at some video reviews of them. Many of the video reviewers also show you how to set up and use the devices as well. For example I did a quick google there and found this vedeo on the Kanger T2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DTj3u7ErSo

Hope I haven't confused you ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭newmark

Just to add to my previous post there is also the option of the Kanger twist kit which I will link for you. It has batteries called the ego twist and they go from 3.2 volts up to 4.8 volts and you just twist the bottom of them until the vape is ok for you depending on the resistance of the atomiser you use on them. It also comes with a sample pack of e-liquid and in my opinion is outstanding value for money and probably the best priced kit in Ireland for someone delving into this type of setup.

Here's the link http://www.e-smokeireland.eu/product-p/kangtwist.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭patrickspicture

hi. I can agree it is very confusing when you start looking into this and i wish i started with the greensmoke.
    I have only been doing this for a couple months and the kit I bought 1st was cartridge based which tasted good but was very hit or miss, then i tried the j and j which i didn't like at all, which is why i switched to the tanks and liquid.

Anyway, the reason I was posting was to say it is a lot of trial and error, what someone else likes may not work for you.
    The good thing is that no matter how much money i wasted on stuff i don't like or use, I still have only spent per week half or less then what i did on cigs.

Thanks guys for the advice. I'm still confused, just a little less so and I came close to buying DB's suggestion, even filling the shopping cart before getting cold feet. I already bought the Greensmoke starter kit for €50 so am a bit reluctant to fork out another €60 on a new kit. The money saving argument is a little lost on me because when I smoked tobacco I bought my smokes in Bulgaria for around €2.20 a pack. I spend more on Greensmoke cartridges than I did on cigarettes!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

jakdublin wrote: »
    Thanks guys for the advice. I'm still confused, just a little less so and I came close to buying DB's suggestion, even filling the shopping cart before getting cold feet. I already bought the Greensmoke starter kit for €50 so am a bit reluctant to fork out another €60 on a new kit. The money saving argument is a little lost on me because when I smoked tobacco I bought my smokes in Bulgaria for around €2.20 a pack. I spend more on Greensmoke cartridges than I did on cigarettes!!

I'm the same, I've spent much more on ecigs than rolling tobacco cost me.

To test the water to see if you'd prefer it, buy this:
    mizxI.jpg

If you do prefer it, great! Order more!
    If you don't, continue with your Greensmokes and someone'll buy that stuff off you in the 'For Sale' thread. I can't see that happening, but pigs might fly. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭patrickspicture

You might want to look for an adapter or blank cartomizers for green smoke to try out different luquids. the only difference between a 510 and greensmoke is the threads. looked it up 'don.t quote me' think it said they are 808d.
    For me it is a hobby, will order what I need then 3 or 4 extras to try.

• Advertisement

I went for Grindle's option, coz that's how I roll. Cheap. When I get up to speed I might try out other options. I have my Greensmoke to fall back on so I don't think I need spares at the moment. Cheers again everybody. Very encouraging responses.

OK. I'm about two weeks into vaping proper having opted for Grindle's recommendation and I'm starting to get to grips with it. I bought a couple of new liquids and I'm warming to the idea of trying different flavours. It's certainly better a better smoking experience than the Greensmoke option (and a lot cheaper) so thanks to all for the encouragement and suggestions. I'm now ready to ditch Greensmoke and move entirely over to vaping, but I'd like a new battery that's not so big, something that won't look real obvious when out and about. I'd like a smaller battery, similar to the ego twist that I have (see above order from Grindle) and I guess a couple of clearomisers (maybe one smaller too, if possible) so I can have different liquids on the go. Any suggestions folks?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

d2DYH.jpg

These two are nice and discrete.

EDIT: Holy no image resize, Batman! Sorry!

grindle wrote: »

These two are nice and discrete.

EDIT: Holy no image resize, Batman! Sorry!

Cool. Ordered already and threw in a couple of new flavours to try out. I'm sure it won't be my last piece of kit. Cheers Grindle :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

Does the vapour that come off these smell? Would I be able to smoke in the house? I hate having to go out into the garden, but I equally can't stand the smell of smoke inside the house.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

it depends on the juice you're vaping.

and the smell only lasts as long as the vapour does, it doesn't stick to clothes or furniture like smoke does

Cheers chicken, I was thinking that. By the way is it frowned upon down the local?

eoing1 wrote: »
    Does the vapour that come off these smell? Would I be able to smoke in the house? I hate having to go out into the garden, but I equally can't stand the smell of smoke inside the house.

Like Sir Digby says, there's no noticeable smell. I've had no complaints and I vape frequently in work and at home (mrs smokes but we banned it from indoors about three years ago). I did try a flavoured liquid the other day and the Mrs noticed while I was vaping as I was beside her, but she said the smell was pleasant rather than intrusive. I don't have any problems vaping in pubs either, but I'm very discrete about it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

i havent had any trouble smoking it in pubs

i used to make a point of asking the barman if it was allowed but nowadays I just puff away indoors if I feel like it. most of my drinking friends smoke though so I tend to be in the smoking area to begin with

what ive been told in a few places is so long as it doesnt look like a cigarette it's ok

I was looking at the Kanger t2 vid, you'd get some funny looks taking that out in public. Its huge, you'd want to go into a cubicle and lock the door to take a drag off that. I'm sure there's more discrete one though:)

• Advertisement

That's what I was asking about, a more discrete option. Here's what Grindle suggested. This is only any use if you've already got some kit.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=81484407&postcount=14

the t2 isn't too bad really, its only noticeable if you want it to be. Its all I use and if anyone notices while I'm vaping they sometimes approach and ask questions.

in regards to the smell it all depends on what you vape. for example the t-juice flavour cubana, to me anyway, is very strong and will attract attention whereas vamp vape from the same range wouldn't be as bad. check the obnoxious vaping thread to see people's views on it.

Advertisement