Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

College???

Options
  • 08-10-2012 2:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Ok so basically I'm wondering people's views on college?..
    Is it a must?

Im 19 and started college this year in Dublin,I like the idea of having my own house and just having freedom,meeting people isn't a problem I'm very out going and can mix with lots of people! The course I'm doing is ok it's not what I'd expected and there's a lot of bits that Iv to study even thou I won't ever need them,it's like the maths everybody is forced to learn,but really nobody cares what 'x' =!!! But anyway I don't feel right being in college,I don't know what it is? The thought of 4 years ahead of me makes me feel ill.I'd much rather a course that's a year or two and get a some kind of qualification and get stuck straight into work! Also college ain't free iv to pay my whole way through college,so I wonder again 4years of college is going to sum up to a pretty large price tag! Will it be worth it?
    The way this country is aswel nobody seems to have jobs! I also think experience is a lot better than any piece of paper saying you have a degree.
    If I spent 4 years working in a business office and my friends spent 4 years studying business and that friend hopped to work in a business office,at the end of the day with my 4 years experience I'd still know more! My friend would have to still be trained in,yes there will be some knowledge he will bring to the table but if I keep on top of things I still think I'd get on A-Okay!!!!
    Iv been thinking about this for some time now,I need answers or some kind of sign!!!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

You need to figure out what you want to do. I did a year of Uni dropped out and got a good job. Loads of money, plenty of booze, loads of birds. You get a bit older the booze starts to cause you a few issues and you meet that one bird who you can fart in bed with and life changes, slightly.

Then you hit 30 and realise that you're in more or less the same job you had in you're early twenties, 50K a year isn't as much as you really thought it was and you're bored out of you're tits.

So you can crack on like that do what I did and leave work and do a qualification in you're thirties - nothing wrong with that but I'd say if you have the opportunity now do it now. Do what you enjoy though. I don't have any time for people who go down a route they dislike as they think there will be money at the end of it. Do what you enjoy - the money, or if you're lucky something much better - happiness, will come of it.

Your mileage may vary.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Bugsbunny94

Hmmm yes,iv often thought about if i went working now,id get sick of it after a few years...but i think that takes its toll anyway! I took the year out after school and just went working,i loved it,was just such a laid back life,and i had money to do what i want...but yes i did spend my money soft on drink and what not. I understand if i was to drop out and go working,i would watch my money more carefully and save. I took last year as like a one year holiday.I had my fun. I have a great business head on me,iv big goals in life,even thou i want to drop out of college. lol . but hey theres loads of successful entrepreneurs out there that didnt even do their leaving cert.

I was also thinking like in my course there a lot of irrelevant stuff that il never use,so i was thinking maybe just do one of those 1year courses or 2years somewhere..the type of course thats tough but will have you trained up by the end of it!

College tries to be too fancy!

Id love if there was some kind of sign or something :-/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Hmmm yes,iv often thought about if i went working now,id get sick of it after a few years...but i think that takes its toll anyway! I took the year out after school and just went working,i loved it,was just such a laid back life,and i had money to do what i want...but yes i did spend my money soft on drink and what not. I understand if i was to drop out and go working,i would watch my money more carefully and save. I took last year as like a one year holiday.I had my fun. I have a great business head on me,iv big goals in life,even thou i want to drop out of college. lol . but hey theres loads of successful entrepreneurs out there that didnt even do their leaving cert.

I was also thinking like in my course there a lot of irrelevant stuff that il never use,so i was thinking maybe just do one of those 1year courses or 2years somewhere..the type of course thats tough but will have you trained up by the end of it!

College tries to be too fancy!

Id love if there was some kind of sign or something :-/

I think the vast majority of business people would tell you a first from Trinners does nothing for you unless you can make money. I think they'd also tell you it does you no harm.

My plain advice would be, unless you have a killer business idea, stay in college get a reasonable degree (2.1) and use the time to make contacts and develop a business plan. Thinking you don't need maths in business is a bit naive in all honesty. No course is going to teach you everything you know. Business is actually a real proof of that rule. Look at a London Business School MBA - are their lecturers really that good as to command that sort of fee? No of course not - its the contacts!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

Some colleges (usually ITs) award a Higher Certificate after 2 years. Find out if your college does that - your course co-ordinator/head of department will know. You can then leave and look for work, and you can always go back to do another year or two to get the degree in the future if you want to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

Ok so basically I'm wondering people's views on college?..
    Is it a must?

Im 19 and started college this year in Dublin,I like the idea of having my own house and just having freedom,meeting people isn't a problem I'm very out going and can mix with lots of people! The course I'm doing is ok it's not what I'd expected and there's a lot of bits that Iv to study even thou I won't ever need them,it's like the maths everybody is forced to learn,but really nobody cares what 'x' =!!! But anyway I don't feel right being in college,I don't know what it is? The thought of 4 years ahead of me makes me feel ill.I'd much rather a course that's a year or two and get a some kind of qualification and get stuck straight into work! Also college ain't free iv to pay my whole way through college,so I wonder again 4years of college is going to sum up to a pretty large price tag! Will it be worth it?
    The way this country is aswel nobody seems to have jobs! I also think experience is a lot better than any piece of paper saying you have a degree.
    If I spent 4 years working in a business office and my friends spent 4 years studying business and that friend hopped to work in a business office,at the end of the day with my 4 years experience I'd still know more! My friend would have to still be trained in,yes there will be some knowledge he will bring to the table but if I keep on top of things I still think I'd get on A-Okay!!!!
    Iv been thinking about this for some time now,I need answers or some kind of sign!!!!!

Stay in College! You have an opportunity to do something that many people can only dream off! I was in your shoes.
    A lot of Graduates can't get jobs in there field at the moment however what makes you think an employer would employ you with no degree over someone with a good qualification?

I hated the first two years of my course! Like you I have a bit of a business head on me! For the first 2 years I'd been wondering should I have taken the advice of my economics teacher in secondary and done something in financials!

Like yourself I have a well paying part-time job that after 5 years experiance pays on average 50000 a year. There is also good promotion oppertunities to management level.
    I considered quitting college and taking the full time position that they offered me.
    However when I asked myself could I do it for the rest of my life? I realised hell no! Its too boring!

Im in 3rd year now and after a few weeks of work experience this summer I realised that it was the career path for me. The only way I can basically get into this field though is from doing my course (pharmacy). I've to study a lot of crap that will have absolutely no relevance to my career. However there are aspects that I enjoy as well! Thats college!
    As an engineer once told me 99% of what he learned in College was not used once he left!

OP stick with it! It'll be of benifit to you! If youre worried about getting a job when you graduate get your head in the door of one of the highly regarded companies in the field in which you were studying.
    Even if its just for a few short weeks during the summer, if you impress them they will remember you. When you graduate, it'll also greatly improve your chances of getting employment.
    Word of mouth is very important in this country!

Also your 19. In terms of life these 4 years in college will be very short. It will stand to you no matter what you do. The friends you make, the experiences you have and the new networks that you set up will be of great benefit to you!

• Advertisement
Advertisement