Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suggestions for college alcohol-free society

Options
  • 08-10-2012 12:34am
    Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I'm a non-drinker who has decided to set up a society in University that we have called "HOFSOC" or the Hangover-Free society and I'm just wondering if anyone would have any suggestions for events and other things that the society could do this year? I want to make it great.

Thanks,
    XxMCRxBabyxX

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Skiing up in Kilternan www.skiclub.ie
    Sporting days out at the likes of Hilltop Sports Center in Wicklow www.hilltopshootingsports.com (Clay shooting / Archery / Quadding etc)
    Carlingford Adventure Center
    Charity Sky Dives
    Paintballing
    Roller Discos
    Foodie events
    Water Sports / Fishing
    The Theater / Cinema
    Camping weekends

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭hubba

Commendable idea. Just a quick question - what is the objective/mission of this society? Is it to give non drinkers something to get involved in and belong to or is it to encourage drinkers to try out life without alcohol or both?

I think if people are already solid non drinkers then activities might be different than if you were trying to encourage people not to drink.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

hubba wrote: »
    Commendable idea. Just a quick question - what is the objective/mission of this society? Is it to give non drinkers something to get involved in and belong to or is it to encourage drinkers to try out life without alcohol or both?

I think if people are already solid non drinkers then activities might be different than if you were trying to encourage people not to drink.

A bit of both really! We're trying to keep this social

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭9959

Hi guys,

I'm a non-drinker who has decided to set up a society in University that we have called "HOFSOC" or the Hangover-Free society and I'm just wondering if anyone would have any suggestions for events and other things that the society could do this year? I want to make it great.

Thanks,
    XxMCRxBabyxX

Why not contact the Iman Muhammad bin Saud Islamic University in Riyadh, I'm sure they'd have some exciting ideas!
    Hope this helps.
    Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭libnation

9959 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Thanks,
    XxMCRxBabyxX

Why not contact the Iman Muhammad bin Saud Islamic University in Riyadh, I'm sure they'd have some exciting ideas!
    Hope this helps.
    Good luck.

Wow such a good joke and amazing work on googling universities in Riyadh then using the full name of the university for added humorous effect.

Anyway OP the problem you may encounter is that other societies may already do some of these activities; do try and network and use the other societies for some events. Other ideas are murder mystery weekends, charity runs etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭hubba

A bit of both really! We're trying to keep this social

Well given the age group, I'd give a good mix of adrenalin physical stuff, mixed with lots of variety to introduce people to new things, things they might not normally get in (and as alternatives to pub life!) so .. hmm...

Physical: outdoor adventure centres, wall climbing, kayaking, skydiving, horse riding, golf, hillwalking, saliing, archery, clay shooting all that fun stuff. Then also maybe:

Comedy shows
    Intro to photography
    Theatre/cinema
    Quizzes
    trip to new late night coffee shops, entertainment venues (they do exist)
    Treasure hunts
    One off instructor led nights (learn the drums, dancing)
    Concerts
    Celebrate Bloomsday? I'm always surprised at how few do it yet it's great fun and CAN be booze free.
    Taste of Ireland, cooking demos etc
    Museum/cultural visits?
    Knitting workshops (it's cool to knit again, you know!)
    Get 'experts' in for talks (on anything, finances, healthy living .. for whatever you can find an expert on. These 'experts' can just be friends of frends, lecturers etc)

Am I on the right track?

libnation wrote: »
    Wow such a good joke and amazing work on googling universities in Riyadh then using the full name of the university for added humorous effect.......

I didn't know drink-free meant humour- free, sorry about that.
    It's difficult enough to 'stay straight' without having to also stay straight-faced, but I'll try!

Apologies to 'libnation' for accusing him of being 'humour free'.
    I've only just noticed how he slyly inserted 'murder mystery weekends' as one of his suggestions to the OP.
    The term 'wickedly funny' springs to mind.

To the OP.
    I genuinely wish you the best with your society.
    I would think about the name, 'Hangover- Free' HOFSOC.
    It could be interpreted by moderate drinkers as slightly superior or elitist.
    I am an atheist. If I were to organise a college society of like minded people, I would be reluctant to name it 'The Religion- Free' Society, unless of course my purpose in so doing was to ruffle feathers.
    Just something to think about.
    I wish you well, perhaps when your society is up and running you could post back and tell us how it's going.
    Good luck.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Apologies to 'libnation' for accusing him of being 'humour free'.
    I've only just noticed how he slyly inserted 'murder mystery weekends' as one of his suggestions to the OP.
    The term 'wickedly funny' springs to mind.

To the OP.
    I genuinely wish you the best with your society.
    I would think about the name, 'Hangover- Free' HOFSOC.
    It could be interpreted by moderate drinkers as slightly superior or elitist.
    I am an atheist. If I were to organise a college society of like minded people, I would be reluctant to name it 'The Religion- Free' Society, unless of course my purpose in so doing was to ruffle feathers.
    Just something to think about.
    I wish you well, perhaps when your society is up and running you could post back and tell us how it's going.
    Good luck.

While I appreciate your concerns, the name has actually been quite popular with anyone that I have talked to and hasn't cause any problems yet!

Our EGM is next week and I will update you all after that. Thanks to everyone for the suggestions so far. All have been noted :)

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭libnation

I didn't know drink-free meant humour- free, sorry about that.
    It's difficult enough to 'stay straight' without having to also stay straight-faced, but I'll try!

Your post looked like a pisstake as its not uncommon to see trolls pass through here. I realise now you are not trolling

• Advertisement

libnation wrote: »
    Your post looked like a pisstake as its not uncommon to see trolls pass through here. I realise now you are not trolling

No problem.
    I can now see how my post could be interpreted that way.
    Good luck to you!

Advertisement