Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stupid college fees from previous year..

Options
  • 07-10-2012 11:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭

Try to keep it short haha. :)

Basically, I was in college in September 2011, well I only attended classes until the end of September, didn't go back since. I didn't use any email/Moodle facilities, etc etc. Never officially withdrew.
    Here's the problem; back in college this year, the same college, different course, just a Level up. I've to pay 2000 euro from the previous year. It's hard enough trying to find the money to pay it. I don't see why I should, as I never took any exams, hadn't attended classes since September 2011 etc. The fact that I never formally withdrew stands against me.. I don't want to pay a ridiculous amount of money that I don't have, for something I wasn't there for.

Just wondering.. Is it worth trying to discuss with the college to even get the amount decreased or gotten rid of, or are colleges in general adamant that you have to pay it? I'd understand it if I was there up until the Winter exams, but I basically didn't use anything from the college. Atm I can't pay it and I'll have to take the year out to repay it, if I have to pay. Anyone any experience or knowledge about this? :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭yer man!

Try to keep it short haha. :)

Basically, I was in college in September 2011, well I only attended classes until the end of September, didn't go back since. I didn't use any email/Moodle facilities, etc etc. Never officially withdrew.
    Here's the problem; back in college this year, the same college, different course, just a Level up. I've to pay 2000 euro from the previous year. It's hard enough trying to find the money to pay it. I don't see why I should, as I never took any exams, hadn't attended classes since September 2011 etc. The fact that I never formally withdrew stands against me.. I don't want to pay a ridiculous amount of money that I don't have, for something I wasn't there for.

Just wondering.. Is it worth trying to discuss with the college to even get the amount decreased or gotten rid of, or are colleges in general adamant that you have to pay it? I'd understand it if I was there up until the Winter exams, but I basically didn't use anything from the college. Atm I can't pay it and I'll have to take the year out to repay it, if I have to pay. Anyone any experience or knowledge about this? :)

I would say talk to them about it, but if my experience with the fees office of nuig is anything to go by, they'll take more money off you for bothering them...
    Just ask though, some colleges are flexible with that type of thing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭areyawell

Unfortunately because you didn't officially withdraw they have you down as you failed all the modules from that year and there is nothing you can do. Anyone that goes into second year of a course or whatever or start a new course etc. have to pay the same fees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭Whatsernamex33

Even if like they looked up attendance records from the previous year?

I can just about pay this years like.. I can't afford to pay 2000 from last year, which is ridiculous.. It has to be paid in full like, no instalments, and it's already hard enough trying to get assignments done without any notes I can get from Moodle, I can't get onto that or anything until I pay last years fees. Basically I have to pay it, right.. :/

Advertisement