Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What was 1980's ealry 90's Galway like (Nightlife that is)

Options
  • 07-10-2012 10:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭

I know this is more contempary history but what was Galway's nightlife like in the 1980's and early 90's. I was told the Warwick was popular but last time I was in salthill there seemed to be a lot of nightclubs closed down.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭electoralshock

In the 1980's Salthill was meant to be the popular spot for students. As someone who went to college in Galway during the 2000's I was shocked to hear this. Not in a million years would students head out to Salthill for the night. City centre has taken over.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭upncmnhistori

I remember being told yesterday that in those days you would go and dance on your own in the Warwick salthill but it changed when people started going to nightclubs in groups. Heard about the city centre take over all right. I was shocked to see a line of nightclubs in Salthill close down as if it was completly abondened town.

Salthill was the place to be - the Castle (since demolished), the Warwick (closed?), the Oasis (rotting away), the Oslo (recently reborn), CJs (demolished).

Am probably forgetting a few spots - I am too young. CP was the first to open in town I believe - the Quay Street area would have been run down at the time.

Have a search here on boards as the topic has come up before - particularly in the Galway city forum. example: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055299497

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

I know this is more contempary history but what was Galway's nightlife like in the 1980's and early 90's. I was told the Warwick was popular but last time I was in salthill there seemed to be a lot of nightclubs closed down.

it was in Salthill, the scene of many fights and people suggested on national radio that the army should be deployed to tackle the trouble makers. maybe this should be in the Galway forum?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

If it is any help back in the fifties - Warwick, Oslo, Seapoint, Hanger

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Yes Salthill was the place to be alright in my younger days. As pg633 mentioned there was The Castle, THe Warwick, CJ's, The Oasis also Rumors, The Oz, Cheers, The Hilltop, Whispers.

First place I went to was Rumors when I was 15. Oasis was my favourite place when I was in college.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

Salthill was the place to be - the Castle (since demolished), the Warwick (closed?), the Oasis (rotting away), the Oslo (recently reborn), CJs (demolished).

Am probably forgetting a few spots - I am too young. CP was the first to open in town I believe - the Quay Street area would have been run down at the time.

Yep remember them well.

Think there was a Twiggs, a Rumours and a Whispers too.
    Then Del Rios chipper afterwards. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

People forget how derelict Quay Street use to be, I can recall as a kid in early 90's going up Kirwin's Lane and every building on it was in ruins. Likewise you had the derelict McDonagh Chemical works where Jurys Hotel is now. In general town had plenty of run down areas. Of course by time i went to university in 1999 things had changed quite abit and it was only the odd time you might go out to the likes of the Warwick (which was usually an older crowd anyways).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

I remember seeing the boomtown rats in Salthill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Food in the nightclubs

Something to do with late licenses and a "substantial meal"

Bring it back I say!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭upncmnhistori

Mikemac1 that is a great idea I would love to see that happen more in pubs and nightclubs. Why did nightclubs stop serving food in nightclubs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

There was a nightclub called the 'YachtClub' in Salthill in the 70's - terrible kip.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Mikemac1 that is a great idea I would love to see that happen more in pubs and nightclubs. Why did nightclubs stop serving food in nightclubs.

They had to by law in order to adhere to late licence applications. That's gone close to 15 years now. It was always muck they served anyhow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    They had to by law in order to adhere to late licence applications. That's gone close to 15 years now. It was always muck they served anyhow.

Used to love the crap Rice and Curry Chicken served. The Oasis had a great counter serving food back then.

Advertisement