Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ubuntu 12.04 - RTE Player not working

Options
  • 07-10-2012 8:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭

Can't get RTE player to work on Ubuntu 12.04. (Fresh install).

After the ads play the show fails to start and shows an error message "UNCAUGHT"

Have tried both Firefox and Chrome. RTE player website suggests a fix but that does not work either

"RTE Player requires Flash plug-in to play video content. However, certain functionality required for streaming video on RTÉ.ie is not supported by Google Chrome's Pepper Flash Player plug-in on Linux. As a workaround, you can enable the system Flash Player in Google Chrome. For more information, please visit: http://helpx.adobe.com/content/help/en/flash-player/kb/enable-flash-player-google-chrome.html

Interested if anyone can replicate problem and/or offer a solution

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭dalta5billion

Trevord wrote: »
    Can't get RTE player to work on Ubuntu 12.04. (Fresh install).

After the ads play the show fails to start and shows an error message "UNCAUGHT"

Have tried both Firefox and Chrome. RTE player website suggests a fix but that does not work either

"RTE Player requires Flash plug-in to play video content. However, certain functionality required for streaming video on RTÉ.ie is not supported by Google Chrome's Pepper Flash Player plug-in on Linux. As a workaround, you can enable the system Flash Player in Google Chrome. For more information, please visit: http://helpx.adobe.com/content/help/en/flash-player/kb/enable-flash-player-google-chrome.html

Interested if anyone can replicate problem and/or offer a solution
    Same. Chrome on Linux uses a specific flash plugin. Non compatible with RTEs new adaptive bit rate yoke. I got it working with another flash plugin but it was absolutely terrible, about 3 FPS.

TBH Ive been working on RTE Player quite a bit for personal use, download scripts etc etc. Tried decompiling the iOS app, didn't get anything great, cos I've no iPhone/iPad to test with.

Solution A): Use rtmpdump and a few shell scripts with grep sed piping goodness to auto play in vlc

Solution B): Deal with ****ty flash plugins

Solution C): Buy me an iPad so I can wireshark dem Apple-sexy-framerate encoded stuff to play in vlc etc.

Your choice. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,007 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I don't use Ubuntu or derivatives and have no problem viewing RTE Player, so it appears to be a Ubuntu problem rather than a Linux one.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

I'm having the same issue on ubuntu 11.04. The youngfella said it just stopped working recently (he's been using the RTE player for donkeys). Pain in the face. What distro are you using Johnboy?

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Trevord

SOLUTION that works with Ubuntu 12.04 and Chromium Browser:

Go to Ubuntu software center and install "hal"

RTE Player then auto selects the stream quality and works as expected.

* with thanks to Davedo2004 on ubuntuforums.org

Khannie wrote: »
    I'm having the same issue on ubuntu 11.04. The youngfella said it just stopped working recently (he's been using the RTE player for donkeys). Pain in the face. What distro are you using Johnboy?

PCLinuxOS (PCLOS)

www.pclinuxos.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭KAGY

Not on my linux machine now, but I think the rte player XL uses different technology
    www.rte.ie/playerxl/

I know that it works on some (windows) machines that state an upgrade of flash is needed.

KAGY wrote: »
    Not on my linux machine now, but I think the rte player XL uses different technology
    www.rte.ie/playerxl/

I know that it works on some (windows) machines that state an upgrade of flash is needed.

No problem playing this here

http://www.rte.ie/playerxl/#v=10063811

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

Trevord wrote: »
    SOLUTION that works with Ubuntu 12.04 and Chromium Browser:

Go to Ubuntu software center and install "hal"

RTE Player then auto selects the stream quality and works as expected.

* with thanks to Davedo2004 on ubuntuforums.org
    Worked perfect on ubuntu 12.04

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭jonathan11

Thanks, working on ubuntu 11 too! :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Yep, this works on 11.04 for me so happy out. Cheers.

• Advertisement
Advertisement