Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Projects/presentation

Options
  • 07-10-2012 6:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hey guys,do you know in college when you need to make a project/presentation do you need to present it in front with the other students or just the teacher?I feel nervous talking in front of many people :O

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭F.R.

redcross wrote: »
    Hey guys,do you know in college when you need to make a project/presentation do you need to present it in front with the other students or just the teacher?I feel nervous talking in front of many people :O

Usually it is in front of the other students. Just remember everyone is nervous when presenting, even lecturers. The only way to combat it is to make sure that you are prepared, know the topic inside out.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

It can vary. I've known people who've had to do presentations in front of the Lecturer and TA's only, and people that've done it in front of the whole class, and we've had projects where the Lecturer would come around to us individually in class to inspect it (Computer Science course).

If you do end up having to do it in front of the class, try and remember that the majority of people will hate having to do it as much as you, so won't be judging you.

I know how you feel though, I'm literally petrified of public speaking. The thought of having to make a presentation in front of a class of 80+ people would keep me awake at night. :(

Apart from being super prepared, another thing to do would (depending on the subject of course) would to be and try an inject some humour into it. Some of the best presentations I've seen in class have gotten laughs. :)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

It can vary. I've known people who've had to do presentations in front of the Lecturer and TA's only, and people that've done it in front of the whole class, and we've had projects where the Lecturer would come around to us individually in class to inspect it (Computer Science course).

If you do end up having to do it in front of the class, try and remember that the majority of people will hate having to do it as much as you, so won't be judging you.

I know how you feel though, I'm literally petrified of public speaking. The thought of having to make a presentation in front of a class of 80+ people would keep me awake at night. :(

Apart from being super prepared, another thing to do would (depending on the subject of course) would to be and try an inject some humour into it. Some of the best presentations I've seen in class have gotten laughs. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Yes you will be nervous but it will be one of the most beneficial things you will ever do in college. If you do it once, it will be water off a ducks back in the future. I did something similar in a small class of about 15 people last year and will probably have to do it in front of about 50-60 different people this year. I was absolutely ****ting myself last year but i have no nerves what so ever about doing it again as i know i can do it now.

Another thing is, if the other students are doing their own presentation, they wont be paying attention to yours. All they are doing is thinking about their own presentation and you will get a polite applause at the end even though nobody was paying attention. Even the ones that are paying attention will be willing you on (even if you dont know them that well) because they know what you are going through.

As i said, after you have done it once it will be a piece of piss in future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Do them at every opportunity or start doing some kind of biology course and move to the North Pole. They don't go away but they get a lot easier!

• Advertisement
Advertisement