Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Esxi Server disk i/o

Options
  • 07-10-2012 3:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭

Hi I was wondering could anyone help me with an issue I'm having.
    I have about 20 VM's on a server with 6 hard drives. Two of the VM's get about 1200MB/s transfer rates while others only get about 40MB/s. I don't have a raid controller.
    Would there be a way to get it that the other VM's perform better.
    Even if some VM's are not doing anything some VM's still don't get over 40mb transfer rates.
    Would my only option be to try find a raid controller that works with ESXI?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Make sure you haven't inadvertently set reservations on certain VM's or Resource Pools.

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 3,540 ✭✭✭swampgas

Can I assume you're using ESXi 5? Can you describe the VMs and datastore setup? Are all the VMs using the same OS, and are the vmware tools installed?

Which SCSI controller type are the VMs using? There are a number to chose from (LSI SAS, LSI Parallel, Buslogic, PVSCSI IIRC), there can be significant differences in performance.

How many vCPUs are there per VM? And how many CPUs does your ESXi server have?

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭hefty_langer

Take a read about Storage IO Control (SIOC) http://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/techpaper/VMW-vSphere41-SIOC.pdf
    Available since ESX(i)4.1
    Good intoduction here http://www.yellow-bricks.com/2010/09/29/storage-io-fairness/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,540 ✭✭✭swampgas

SIOC tends to be useful where multiple ESX servers are accessing the same datastore, from the OP it sounds like it's a single ESX server, probably with a bunch of local disks.

Advertisement