Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Refused Grant on grounds of Dependence

Options
  • 07-10-2012 12:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭

I got a call from SUSI on Friday to say that they will not consider me as a Independent Mature Student.
    The criteria is that one must be living independently since October of last year.

I am almost 30 and have been living away from home since I was 17 apart from a few months here and there.

The lease on the place I was renting expired last November and I moved in with my parents and decided to stay til after Christmas.
    I started renting another place in January.
    Yet due to these few weeks that i spent in my home place I have been told that I will not be considered as an independent person.

I really don't know what to do. I cannot afford to pay the fees and will have to drop out .

Can anyone advise me as to what to do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Henlars67

bump

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Zil2011

Can you appeal? Surely you have bills or evidence that you are in your present accomodation since January - I thought there was something about a 'change in circumstances' form ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭saltyporridge

You have to be able to show that you were living independently continuously since the October before starting your course. I'm not too sure what you can do apart from appealing, firstly to SUSI and then the Department of Education. Arguing a change in circumstances won't work but you could try to make a case that you were holidaying with your parents.

Advertisement