Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Confused over cleaning matters???

Options
  • 07-10-2012 11:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭

I've had my aeg's and pistol over two months now and it's time to clean them (probably overdue:o).

However after researching the web, there appears to be conflicting opinions about how to do this, e.g., using silicon oil to clean a barrel or soapy water or just dampen the cloth:confused:? So what's the best way to do it? In my opinion, using oil would just attract dirt but that's the way most people appear to do it (on the YouTube vids anyway). Plus, cleaning the barrel from the muzzle into the hop has me scratching the head. Surely, this is just pushing dirt up to the hop when it appears to make more sense to take the gun apart, take off the hop and clean the barrel that way (much more trouble though!).

And then there's the school of thought that has you squirting silicon oil into the mag well, the mag itself etc.

Any advice on the best way to clean my guns?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭T4RGET

I've had my aeg's and pistol over two months now and it's time to clean them (probably overdue:o).

However after researching the web, there appears to be conflicting opinions about how to do this, e.g., using silicon oil to clean a barrel or soapy water or just dampen the cloth:confused:? So what's the best way to do it? In my opinion, using oil would just attract dirt but that's the way most people appear to do it (on the YouTube vids anyway). Plus, cleaning the barrel from the muzzle into the hop has me scratching the head. Surely, this is just pushing dirt up to the hop when it appears to make more sense to take the gun apart, take off the hop and clean the barrel that way (much more trouble though!).

And then there's the school of thought that has you squirting silicon oil into the mag well, the mag itself etc.

Any advice on the best way to clean my guns?

Thanks

Everyone has different methods, personally I use dampened cloth. when I clean my barrel I take it out of the AEG. It makes it easier to clean. Then every now and again, I'll take the Hop up unit apart, clean those parts and clean the barrel with silicon oil :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

You shouldn't leave any liquid of any kind in the barrel after cleaning it so it won't be attracting dirt anyway.

I go for a dry cloth first to get out major debris, then a wet one with silicon oil which will get a lot more dirty, then dry it well with a third wad until it is coming out totally clean.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭Inari

There has always been a lot of confusion about this stuff, and it is mostly because everyone has an opinion and spouts it as gospel. Realistically cleaning things is common sense; right materials for the right job.

If your barrel is dirty feed a wet/damp cloth down the barrel (starting from hop unit side; make sure hop up is off) - this is to loosen and dried on dirt. Then feed dry cloth through until one emerges clean.

The more you can isolate the part you wish to clean the better, as the risk of damaging the hop up greatly diminishes.

The reason why people say to use silicone oil is because it is rubber/plastic safe, but realistically it is an oil and if it gets on your hop up you will lose friction so performance will go bye bye for a while. Any damp cloth (safe for rubber/plastic - water works great) will do.

Oil into the mag is one sure fire way to mess with feeding - it gives the dirt something to cling to, and allows the BB's to bring that dirt through your gun - not a good idea in my book anywho

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Rooky1

I personally have never cleaned the inside of a mag and have had no real issues with the many brands I have used.

I prefer to take my hop unit inner barrel out of the AEG to clean them.

I use a tiny bit of silicone on a bit of Jeye cloth and pass it through the barrel and follow that with a couple of clean and dry bits of cloth until it comes out clean and dry.

For the outside of my AEGs (especially after a wet skirmish) I wipe them down with a cloth if they are wet. I then spray a light coat over the AEG.
    I then use a one inch fine bristle (varnish type) paint brush to clean the AEG. The brush gets into all the nooks and crannies and removes any dirt and the silicone lifts any water particles.
    I then dry the whole AEG with a Jeye cloth.

As has been mentioned everyone has their own way that works for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭stigmau5

but how do i get my brilo pad out of my barrel dammmm :P nice advice Carl :) must clean the CRC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Rooky1

stigmau5 wrote: »
    but how do i get my brilo pad out of my barrel dammmm :P nice advice Carl :) must clean the CRC

You keep using the brillo pads......seem to be working for ya!!!:D

Advertisement