Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing from B.Ed. to BA

Options
  • 07-10-2012 9:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭

I'm currently a first year b.Ed student but thinking about moving to Arts for a variety of reasons. Is it too late? I'd much rather concentrate on specific subjects to teach as a secondary teacher because I have certain modules as a b.Ed that I have no interest whatsoever in. I'm also beginning to wonder how rewarding this job could be, if I ever even get a job.. If I stayed as b.Ed I'm qualified as a teacher but nothing else, despite the jokes about arts students translation and working for organisations are all possibilities.

Has anyone done this before? How much of arts would I have missed out on? Would I stupid to leave a good degree knowing I may not get accepted for a H.dip for secondary?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭peckerhead

Look at it this way. If you do a BA degree — quite apart from the likelihood that you will do better in it because you actually have an interest in the subjects you're studying — you have a range of employment options after graduation, including but not restricted to teaching. You'll also have had a year either studying abroad or in a work placement relevant to your degree and your career plans.

The "old" B.Ed was a three-year joint honours degree (i.e. you also had a degree qualification in your Arts subject, despite widespread and apparently deliberate misinformation to the contrary).

The new B.Ed (with no Arts subject) is now a one-trick pony. Effectively a 4-year N.T. (I'm glad it's gone to 4 years, but talk about throwing out the baby with the bathwater...). It seems the Teaching Council wants well-drilled drones, not graduates with anything approaching subject competence or a capacity for critical thinking.

I know people who have made the move and were glad they did. It's entirely your call. FWIW I would venture that teaching (at any level) is fast becoming a far less attractive proposition than it was up 'til a few years ago. Just my €0.02...

• Registered Users Posts: 39 only18

I think you might have until 31st of October to change course and to avoid paying any extra fee.

Get on to student services ASAP, it might help to type a letter of why you want to change and go prepared with what subjects that you might like to take.

Usually the decision will go through a board, based on the points you achieved in the L.C and availability in spaces in Arts it might just work out for you.

If you are on the fence about a course its a good time to take a step back/take a year out/ or make a decision soon it will save you money and time.

Best of luck with what you choose to do... the beauty about arts is it can open many job opportunities for you at the end of your course, specialize in a certain area and you may even be happier.

Advertisement