Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM 6Gb/s SATA £67 on Amazon

Options
  • 06-10-2012 6:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭

Seagate Barracuda 2TB Sata Int 3.5in 7200 RPM 64MB 6GB/S

It seems to be the cheapest good 2TB drive around at the moment. Bought 4 of these last year for a RAID server and they're still going :)

Price just dropped on Amazon to £67 (€82) here

edit: With Irish Tax and free delivery that's £68.67 on the checkout page so €84.96 :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

great price

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

How do you get free delivery on it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Xzen

sunny2004 wrote: »
    How do you get free delivery on it ?

On the checkout page there are 3 options:

* FREE Super Saver Delivery (4-5 business days)
    * Standard (3-4 business days)
    * Two-Day Delivery to Ireland : get it guaranteed on Wednesday, October 10

Choose FREE, easy :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

These are standard sata ? not sata 2 or 3 right ?
    I am aasking as I would need a case as well and want to mirror them..

sunny2004 wrote: »
    These are standard sata ? not sata 2 or 3 right ?
    I am aasking as I would need a case as well and want to mirror them..

They're SATA-3 and should be backwards compatible with older SATA-1 boards without any problems or changes. It's pretty hard to find a SATA-1 HDD these days in anything TB sized.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

Wondering should i get this, have a 2 tb barracuda green drive in the NAS already its the 5200rpm. Would there be any disadvantages in having two different rpm drives in a NAS?

If its RAID then you want exact same drives.

If its just a bunch of individual drives then having different speed drives can be good from a noise and vibration perspective.

Doylers wrote: »
    Wondering should i get this, have a 2 tb barracuda green drive in the NAS already its the 5200rpm. Would there be any disadvantages in having two different rpm drives in a NAS?

If you're NAS is just in JBOD mode (zero redundancy) rather than RAID (redundancy protection) then different speed drives are ok.

However, if you have RAID enabled on your NAS then you should use drives with the same RPM, cache size, sata speed. Some would even say the same model drives though it's rare that that's an issue.

Also, and very importantly, green drives are very unsuited to RAID. They speed down or power off independently causing havoc on a RAID array. (RAID requires all drives act in sync and a drive acting independently will slow, crash or lose data)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

Was just looking they have discontinued the green drive line last year. I wouldnt be doing any redundancy just adding the second drive in so JBOD would be my option. Have anyone of you any experience with the 7200 rpm drives vibration/ noise wise. i find the 5200 green very good and doesn't bother me much(I sleep in same room as it).

Think I might opt for the 3tb drive, might last buy me a month or two of having space :Dhttp://www.amazon.co.uk/Seagate-inch-Barracuda-Desktop-Drive/dp/B0073Q7GU6/ref=pd_cp_computers_0

Edit: the 2tb coming in at

tems: GBP 68.67
    Postage & Packing: GBP 0.00
    Order Total: GBP 68.67
    (Payment Total: EUR 88,40**)

Advertisement