Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

updated to Internet explorer 8, but everything really slow now - any suggestions ?

Options
  • 06-10-2012 1:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭

Hi

Just wondering if anyone would have any suggestions or ideas on how to fix a internet explorer problem, I'm a total amateur and not very familiar with computers so am a bit lost.

I have a packard-bell laptop from 2003 and I tried to update/upgrade the microsoft windows internet explorer to internet explorer 8. (I had kept getting boxes coming up on websites like ryanair saying I was using an out of date browser)

This seemed to work and I got the new look search page , but ever since it is taking ages (three or four minutes) to load a new page. It seems to get stuck / frozen and then sometimes times out and comes up with this "Internet explorer cannot display the web page" error. Then if I hit the home key about 8 or 9 times it finally reloads (I'm explaining this in the hope someone may recognise what the problem might be).

The old one was much faster and I'm not sure if I should give up and un-install the internet explorer 8 to try and get back some speed. (I only tried updating because there was some features on some sites I couldn't use).

I have already tried the thing of deleting the browser history, but that didn't seem to help. Also tried disabling the add ons , but that actually seemed to make it worse.

The actual internet connection is over a 3g Broadband modem, which is definetly connected and has a good signal (the exact same as when the old internet browser was connecting OK).

Would really appreciate any advice or suggestions on how I can get the browser back to a proper speed. (I'm typing this from a different computer)

Thanks very much, Mike

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭The Radiator

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭mikedublin

I had actually tried to change to a google chrome browser as well, as someone recommended it , but it wouldn't work - kept getting stuck at a message saying it couldn't "uncompress the archive" (?) which left me baffled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

mikedublin wrote: »
    I had actually tried to change to a google chrome browser as well, as someone recommended it , but it wouldn't work - kept getting stuck at a message saying it couldn't "uncompress the archive" (?) which left me baffled.

That in itself speaks volumes about the current state of your Windows install

• Registered Users Posts: 6,668 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

If you're having trouble downloading Chrome try FireFox instead. Internet Explorer is best used to download other browsers.

Your computer is quite old. I'm just wondering do you have a memory issue. How much RAM do you have? (you can find out by right clicking on "My Computer" on the desktop and clicking on properties). Also what version of Windows are you running?

PogMoThoin wrote: »

Would you have any suggestions on how to fix it ? Very grateful for any ideas.

• Advertisement

If you're having trouble downloading Chrome try FireFox instead. Internet Explorer is best used to download other browsers.

Your computer is quite old. I'm just wondering do you have a memory issue. How much RAM do you have? (you can find out by right clicking on "My Computer" on the desktop and clicking on properties). Also what version of Windows are you running?

Thanks - I'll try that. Yes its quite old (from 2003) and I guess its memory might be pretty full as sometimes I see a box coming up saying windows is increasing the size of your memory and some aplications may not be available while it does this. (its at home , so I shall have a proper look this evening and see if I can see what RAM it has.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Would you have any suggestions on how to fix it ?

If this is still the original installation (which by now is 9 years old), it is high time to reinstall the operating system. Install Service Pack 3 and update the system. Then update to Internet Explorer 8.
    Perfect solution

Perfect nonsense. Your answer doesn't address the problem at hand.

Torqay wrote: »
    If this is still the original installation (which by now is 9 years old), it is high time to reinstall the operating system. Install Service Pack 3 and update the system. Then update to Internet Explorer 8.

Thanks - I've found service pack 3 on the microsoft and will try and install it tonight.

Thanks everyone for the help.

Is this something I can download from microsoft website ?

Yes, here.

Backup your files, wipe the drive and install XP from scratch, apply the service pack and then run Windows Update.

Then install IE8, download here.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Read the charter about advocacy

IE is essential for some uses.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Backup your files, wipe the drive and install XP from scratch, apply the service pack and then run Windows Update.

Then install IE8, download here.
    Just wondering if anyone would have any suggestions or ideas on how to fix a internet explorer problem, I'm a total amateur and not very familiar with computers so am a bit lost.

Torguy you are recommending an amateur to wipe their XP system :eek:

If it needs SATA drivers then it gets messy, also it's a PB - I can't remember if it came with CD's or image or run-once CD maker , can you ?

If you are on 3G check your download limits / speeds.

it might be worth dropping into a relative with broadband as there are a lot of updates after the 300MB of SP3

it will take a few reboots to get windows updates sorted out

then head over to https://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal/ and download the scanner , this will take quite a while to run but it will patch most if not all of the other programs on the laptop

If it's from 2003 how much ram do you have ?
    is the drive full - that will also slow you down

Would you have any suggestions on how to fix it ? Very grateful for any ideas.

What I meant was what Torquay said, if it's a 9 year old install it may be worth getting someone to reinstall it and patch up to date. A new fresh install flies, is trouble free and will see that pc through another few years.

How much ram has that pc? If you've barely enough ram for SP2 (512MB or less) the PC will slow drastically after installing SP3 which really needs 1GB to run smoothly.

A new fresh install flies, is trouble free and will see that pc through another few years.
    Thing is the PC slowed down when the new version of IE was installed, so I'm guessing that besides that it was probably OK and reinstalling wouldn't be worth the hassle.

Can't remember if you can undo IE with a system restore ?

start - programs - accesories - system tools - system restore

Yeah you need 1GB for XP these days realistically

to check the RAM get cupz
    http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html
    install it , then go to the SPD tab and check the slots
    Laptops only have 2 slots so at least two will be blank
    you will probably have memory in slot #1 and slot #3
    it will say DDR# PC##### - this is the type of memory you would buy for an upgrade - check out the laptops forum for that since some laptops it's a single screw on a door on the bottom (anyone can do) , in others you unclip the keyboard and others it's a complete disassembley (expert mode)

Torguy you are recommending an amateur to wipe their XP system :eek:

Installing XP is not arcane science.
    If it needs SATA drivers then it gets messy

A laptop from 2003 with a SATA controller? Hardly.
    also it's a PB - I can't remember if it came with CD's or image or run-once CD maker , can you ?

An installation CD is a prerequisite indeed but they aren't exactly gold dust. ;)

However, if you have better and less time consuming ideas how to deal with a Windows installation which has been rotting for the last 9 years... I'm all ears, Capt'n. :D

Installing XP is not arcane science.
    It's not fun either and the OP indicated amateur status.

This is funny because it's true - How to install XP in 5 hours or less :D
    http://teakdoor.com/computer-news/44058-how-install-windows-xp-5-hours.html

A laptop from 2003 with a SATA controller? Hardly.
    my bad :o
    Desktop SATA only started in 2003,
    but the point about someone with a SATA drive and an early XP CD needing drivers remains
    An installation CD is a prerequisite indeed but they aren't exactly gold dust. ;)
    How often do people start new threads looking for windows CD's ?
    However, if you have better and less time consuming ideas how to deal with a Windows installation which has been rotting for the last 9 years... I'm all ears, Capt'n. :D
    Telling someone they should wipe and reinstall a system that has only gotten slower after a specific install (of IE8) , is something I'd expect of a high street retailer.

Going on the principle that you don't throw the baby out with the bathwater. If an identifiable problem can be fixed the all the existing setting will be there. Only after having a stab at an identifiable problem should you consider a wipe and clean install.

Had the problem been the PC getting slower over time and crashing a lot then yeah it's a candidate for reinstall,

Of course if the problem is that the laptop doesn't have enough RAM then re-installing is probably going to be a waste of time.

back on topic

mikedublin how are you getting on ?

It's not fun either and the OP indicated amateur status.

This is funny because it's true - How to install XP in 5 hours or less :D
    http://teakdoor.com/computer-news/44058-how-install-windows-xp-5-hours.html

If I have a backup of files, my installation disk and drivers handy, the whole affair is a 30 minutes job. An hour with the installation of the service pack and Windows Update. The latter part being mostly unattended, so plenty time for a cup or two... There's absolutely nothing scary about installing Windows.

And if you're honest, you will admit that no matter how well you clean the system, defragment the drive, tweak services and auto starts or scrub the registry after 9 years of vervice... you will not even get remotely close to the performance of a fresh installation.

back on topic

mikedublin how are you getting on ?

Thanks for all the advice and suggestions. I think I managed to load service pack 3, and did a big clean up deleting a lot of photos and unwanted word documents. I think I have 18% ram free, and I did a thing that said it would rearrange stuff to free up space on my hard drive.

Some sites are now OK and reasonably fast. I think the problem is still there and with Java (?) Also it seems faster when I turn off automatic updates.

Its still odd how it takes about 10 presses of the "home" page button to try and get it to connect, and for about 8 or 9 times it says This page cannot be displayed, but then suddenly on the 8th or 9th attempt it connects and works.

Thanks for all the advice and suggestions. I think I managed to load service pack 3, and did a big clean up deleting a lot of photos and unwanted word documents. I think I have 18% ram free, and I did a thing that said it would rearrange stuff to free up space on my hard drive.

Some sites are now OK and reasonably fast. I think the problem is still there and with Java (?) Also it seems faster when I turn off automatic updates.

Its still odd how it takes about 10 presses of the "home" page button to try and get it to connect, and for about 8 or 9 times it says This page cannot be displayed, but then suddenly on the 8th or 9th attempt it connects and works.

Deleting photos and files does nothing to speed up a PC, it's installed software that slows it, not files. You need to remove the crap software you don't need and stop unwanted programs that launch themseves everytime it boots

• Advertisement
Advertisement