Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transfers between Communicorp-owned Stations (direct and indirect)

Options
  • 06-10-2012 1:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,004 ✭✭✭

As you would all know in the radio community, Denis O’Brien’s company Communicorp owns a number of radio stations in Ireland: Today FM, Newstalk , 98FM, Spin103, Spin Southwest and Phantom FM. With the impending arrival of Joe Donnelly to Phantom from Newstalk, it struck me that since Communicorp took over various radio stations there have been a lot of transfer of personnel between them.

Since February 2011, when Communicorp bought the main stake in Phantom FM, much of the activity has centred on this station. So, I will start with Phantom. Joe Donnelly went from Spin103 to Newstalk (Tom Dunne’s producer) and now Phantom. Keith Walsh is an example of an “indirect” transfer because he went from Spin103 to non-Communicorp-owned station i105-107 and then to Phantom. The following transferred to Phantom: Ricky Geraghty (acting CEO) from SpinSW, Alison Curtis from Today FM and Claire Beck from Spin103. More recently, Muireann O’Connell transferred from Phantom to Today FM and, most recently of all, Richie McCormack left Phantom for 98FM (sportsdesk).

There have been others besides Phantom over the years. Tim Kelly is a sort of an “indirect” transfer in that, when he went from Communicorp-owned 98FM to Today FM, the latter had different owners. However, in the interim, Communicorp took over Today FM and Tim is still there. Tom Dunne went from 98FM to Today FM. I’m not sure if Today FM were owned by Communicorp at that time (indirect again) but it certainly was before he left for Newstalk. Brian McColl briefly transferred to Today FM after leaving 98FM. Brian then transferred to non-Communicorp station 4FM and eventually ended up back with 98FM. Ray Foley left Spin103 for Today FM. Claire Solan transferred from Spin103 to 98FM. I’m not sure if she is still with them which leads me on to the next angle…

There are some who had previously transferred between Communicorp-owned stations, but are now with stations not connected to Communicorp. The example that springs to mind immediately is Radio Nova’s Marty Miller. He left Today FM for Spin103 - a direct transfer. He also went from Spin103 to non-Communicorp-owned Q102 and then to 98FM – an indirect transfer. I think he may also have briefly returned to Today FM from 98FM before Radio Nova beckoned. Q102’s Breffni Clack transferred from 98FM to Today FM. 4FM’s Jim McCabe had previously spent some time with 98FM before going to UTV-owned FM104. When his stint with FM104 stopped, he briefly returned to 98FM and then briefly transferred to Today FM.

No doubt there are other transfers I have forgotten about it. Maybe other members here can remember a few more.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭gavindowd

Before Muireann O'Connell moved from Phantom to Today fm she was presenting Spin Talk on SPINSW

• Registered Users Posts: 6,004 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Hot off the presses: Ray Foley (and possibly JP) are moving from Today FM to 98FM!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,004 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Okay, look I'm sorry about "bumping" this thread again! The reason I do so is that there is so much going on now between the Communicorp-owned stations that it is really worth a mention. (I hope I won't be punished!)

For example, Claire Solan, formerly of Spin103 and 98FM, is now with Today FM. Chris Doyle is the current CEO of 98FM and was previously CEO of Spin103. Yet another station associated with Muireann O' Connell is 98FM. It is speculated that Dara Quilty of Spin103 is about to go to Today FM.... and I'm sure I have forgotten a few.

The problem is that the situation keeps changing. I really do believe that this thread should be a sticky that can be added to as the story constantly unfolds.

Advertisement