Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hidden Assets

Options
  • 06-10-2012 10:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭

It appears that Irish Rails "stored" fleet is growing :confused:

201 Class Locomotives - 10?
    Mark 3 coaches- 100?
    "New" 22000 Intercity Railcars - 9?
    2700 railcars 27?
    8200 DARTs 4?
    Freight Pocketwagons 12?
    "New" Autoballasters 20?

This must represent tens of millions of investment.

My rough estimate is about 180 vehicles are involved, worth ?

It begs the question what is the overall strategic plan for Irish railways.

Its time to hear from the CIE Chairperson Ms Vivienne Jupp or Mr Phil Gaffney Chairman of Iarnrod Eireann who, together with their fellow board members, are very quiet holders of such important positions.

Joe Public would be forgiven for thinking Barry Kenny was running the show all on his own!

With a new Chief Executive due to be appointed it would interesting to know what goals Ms Jupp and Mr Gaffney will ask the new CEO to achieve during their term of office.

Comments

Make that 11 201s, possibly 12. Certainly 201-205 and 210-214, but 216 has been stripped and is unlikely to run again. 225 was stopped after a level crossing accident and I don't think it was brought back into service.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Yep,

12 201s
    90+ Mk3s
    10 8200s
    27 2700s
    12-18 CPWs

The 24 new Autoballasters are all used but spend a lot of time in maintenance cycles with "problems". A rake of old 1950s vintage ballast wagons are still used for when the autobalasters are out of action.

The 90+ Mk3s, 10 8200s and 27 2700s will all be cut up for scrap. That much is certain. I suspect the rest of the 201s will go the way of 216 and end up as a useless shells.

The CPWs may make a second comeback, they did it before.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,327 ✭✭✭dowlingm

the mk3s are only worth what the scrapper tenders for them now. might as well count cravens and mk2s long since gone. Can't compare them to the autoballasters which are showing signs of being some sort of impulse buy on the Shopping Channel

• Registered Users Posts: 29,031 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

theirs a few 22000s in storage all ready? oh for god sake, what is it with that lot.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,467 ✭✭✭highlydebased

22k's that were not commissioned yet perhaps?

• Advertisement

22k's that were not commissioned yet perhaps?

Yep, there are just the two replacement sets that are left to commissioned. There are more than enough 22k sets than needed right now. And with cut backs planned on the Sligo line from next year there will be even more left over.

Actually set 59 is still to be commissioned, seems to be a lemon set as all the others in that batch have been in service for months. So that's 3x 3 car sets to enter traffic. The replacement sets 10 and 11 and 59.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Inchicore is some disgrace at the moment. Some amount of stock just gathering rust there.

Inchicore is some disgrace at the moment. Some amount of stock just gathering rust there.

Not that much. 12 201s, 10 8200s, 27 2700s and about 10 Mk3s there. Preserved 141 class leader along with 162, 171 and 175 are still pilot locos confined to the works area.

The majority of the Mk3s (around 60) and all of the CPWs are stored in North Wall yard.
    There are 2 Mk3 rakes in Dundalk yard and 1 in Waterford yard.

The Autoballasters that are in for maintenance are looked after in Limerick works.

exactly, their worse then a bunch of horders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Not that much. 12 201s, 10 8200s, 27 2700s and about 10 Mk3s there. Preserved 141 class leader along with 162, 171 and 175 are still pilot locos confined to the works area.

The majority of the Mk3s (around 60) and all of the CPWs are stored in North Wall yard.

The Autoballasters that are in for maintenance are looked after in Limerick works.
    I saw a 121 there today when I was passing by.

• Advertisement

and the sound barrier!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (i take it they still have one?) would probably just be the scrapped 141s and i think 216? and not forgetting the only example of the AEC railcars? (all though not belonging to IE)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,686 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Actually set 59 is still to be commissioned, seems to be a lemon set as all the others in that batch have been in service for months. So that's 3x 3 car sets to enter traffic. The replacement sets 10 and 11 and 59.

Set 59 - have they not got the faults fixed on it yet as that was the reason given by IE for the delay in starting service or is it just being delayed as its not required yet.
    Yep, there are just the two replacement sets that are left to commissioned. There are more than enough 22k sets than needed right now. And with cut backs planned on the Sligo line from next year there will be even more left over.

The cut backs on Sligo services may now gaurantee 22k for all Sligo serivces and Rosslare services. I would imagine some of the sets that started in 2007 are due for a maintance overhaul, nearly sure that I read in an IE report that they require a engine replacment every 5 years so that will be coming up soon a lot of sets.
    225 was stopped after a level crossing accident and I don't think it was brought back into service.

Was that involved in the accident in Co. Kilkenny as I'm almost certain it was 225 or 6.

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    The cut backs on Sligo services may now gaurantee 22k for all Sligo serivces and Rosslare services.
    it better, they have no excuse for commuter stock operating on these lines.
    nearly sure that I read in an IE report that they require a engine replacment every 5 years
    jesus, thats short considering the commuter stock as far as i know don't need engine replacements? wonder why the short lifespan for these engines?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,686 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

I could be worng about the engines I will look and see where I think I read it but the 22000 would of clocked up a lot of miles since 2007 and they are running much longer distances compared to commuter stock. Average would be over 200-300 miles for a return journey to Waterford, Galway, Limerick, Westpot etc. Would expect most of the premair class would have at least 1 million miles clocked up at this stage on passenger services not to count the runs from Heuston-Portlaoise.

Take Waterford a premair class set would operate a return service daily. 220 miles approx which equals 1540 miles weekly by 52 weeks equals 80,080 by 5 years equals 400,400 miles and Waterford is probaly the shortes intercity route.

I could be worng about the engines I will look and see where I think I read it but the 22000 would of clocked up a lot of miles since 2007 and they are running much longer distances compared to commuter stock. Average would be over 200-300 miles for a return journey to Waterford, Galway, Limerick, Westpot etc. Would expect most of the premair class would have at least 1 million miles clocked up at this stage on passenger services not to count the runs from Heuston-Portlaoise.

Take Waterford a premair class set would operate a return service daily. 220 miles approx which equals 1540 miles weekly by 52 weeks equals 80,080 by 5 years equals 400,400 miles and Waterford is probaly the shortes intercity route.

yeah i suppose when you add up all the milege it makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,072 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

The cut backs on Sligo services may now gaurantee 22k for all Sligo serivces and Rosslare services. I would imagine some of the sets that started in 2007 are due for a maintance overhaul, nearly sure that I read in an IE report that they require a engine replacment every 5 years so that will be coming up soon a lot of sets.

DMU engines lift in and out of place so the sets just spend a day or two in the service sheds to take out the old engine and to fit a replacement engine in lieu. Once in place, the heavy overhaul work is done off site. It allows for better use of sets as they are back in traffic quicker than a loco but in practice engines are only swapped if an overhaul or full replacement is needed, general repairs being done as is.

I saw a 121 there today when I was passing by.

Yep, that's 134. It's earmarked for preservation. Hopefully it will join 124. I'm not sure if the shell of 133 is still around or has already been scrapped.

The 29s are due to enter a heavy maintenance cycle very soon. All the underframe shelving and mounting units are to be replaced. So I suppose the extra 22s could cover a few sets while the work is carried out, not ideal usage but the stock will be there lying around.

Surely the likelihood is that some 29s will be parked as they come up for heavy checks and as 22059/10/11 are released? More comfy for some but a reduction in capacity.

As far as mileage goes, surely it's better to look at hours operating if you're looking at engine wear? A 22 will cover more miles in an hour with its higher top speed and operating pattern but the 29 is likely to be revving up and down more. A 29 is likely to have more wear and tear on doors too you'd think.

(EDIT:just spotted Capt Chaos' post above now)

Was that involved in the accident in Co. Kilkenny as I'm almost certain it was 225 or 6.

225 was in a fatal accident when it hit a tractor at a level crossing in Roscommon on September 2010 while on an IWT freight liner. It suffered damage to it's buffers, bogies, air brake piping, fuel tank, main air tank, CAWS and HEP systems. It was still confirmed out of service as of February this year and has not been seen since. Gone for 2 years, think it's safe to say it won't be back. 206 was not even out of service that long after it was almost lost to fire damage and had to be more or less completely rebuilt and re-wired internally.

• Advertisement

one other point - any faults in 59 should be the fellas in Heuston Valeting Shed's problem, since IE doesn't own it until it's accepted for service. There might be a fault in IE's cheque issuing department though :rolleyes:

Advertisement