Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Registering and importing a classic, in another County.

Options
  • 06-10-2012 9:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone, I have a 1983 Mercedes which I plan to bring into the country next summer, when it reaches the age of consent!
    Its a W123 230CE
    What is the current situation regarding the ZV plate system? I believe my options are 1) ZV system
    2) 83 D whatever.
    Am I correct?

If I go the route of 83 D, is it practical to have it registered in Clare? Then i would have 83 CE on the plate.
    Do I just need an address in Clare where I ccan pick up the post, or is it more involved?
    Iver.

PS have you noticed how many DeLoreans were registered in Donegal?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭2cv

Hi everyone, I have a 1983 Mercedes which I plan to bring into the country next summer, when it reaches the age of consent!
    Its a W123 230CE
    What is the current situation regarding the ZV plate system? I believe my options are 1) ZV system
    2) 83 D whatever.
    Am I correct?

You are correct... However.... If you go for the 83-CE option, your plate will be 83-CE-4XXXX and if you go the 83-D route, it'll be 83-D-12XXXX Those new plates look ridiculous, even on newer cars. Saw a 10-D-120XXX registered Audi the other day, looks wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

you live in Cavan dontcher? Numbers might look even neater there....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭iverjohnston

Hi Corktina,
    Yeah, you would have 83 CN XXXXX, just the car being a CE model, I thought you could have CE in the Reg. What hope of getting 83 CE 230?!
    Iver

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭kasper

83 ce 230 isnt coming up on cartell.ie or mywheels.ie so it could still be there for the taking , but getting it could be a different story

you won't get 83-CE-230....

since earlier this year, all private imports will have numbers higher than XX-X-40000, except for dublin, where it'll be higher than XX-D-120000.

• Advertisement

so a Clare reg will be 83-CE-40thousand something

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭steder

2cv wrote: »
    you won't get 83-CE-230....

since earlier this year, all private imports will have numbers higher than XX-X-40000, except for dublin, where it'll be higher than XX-D-120000.

Im not sure about the number beening so high i registered one a few weeks ago and i got a CW reg and the number is 5001.

The reason i got the CW reg and not a ZV one is because if i change my mind at a later date i can change from the CW reg to a ZV one.

If you get a ZV one you cannot change it at a later date and your stuck with what ever number you get!

steder wrote: »
    Im not sure about the number beening so high i registered one a few weeks ago and i got a CW reg and the number is 5001.

The reason i got the CW reg and not a ZV one is because if i change my mind at a later date i can change from the CW reg to a ZV one.

If you get a ZV one you cannot change it at a later date and your stuck with what ever number you get!

oh i was told that every county has number starting at 40000 except dublin, they start at 120000.

but i'm right in saying that you won't be able to get a really low number anymore, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭rugbyman

Iver

For some years each local authority started the new year at ,i think 200.
    the earlier numbers were for sale ,on a fair basis where there were competing applicants.
    perhaps other numbers were held for sale like 500 , 1000, model numbers.

in any case in my local county this seems to have been shelved as i have seen lots of sub 200 numbers this year.
    i dont know if this system(holding some for sale) ever applied to the pre 87 county regs ( issued to imports obviously). but if it did it would certainly be worth ringing Roslare, to see if they would sell 83 Ce 230, since a poster here has said there is no record of it. it would be nice.

regards Rugbyman

There were quite a number of 230 s way back with 230 reg, but i would not dare suggest....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

rugbyman wrote: »

in any case in my local county this seems to have been shelved as i have seen lots of sub 200 numbers this year.

Are you sure they were imported this year though?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

BTW I had a 26 reg once, so the numbers definitively did start lower, but that is gone now with the new system where the numbers start just above the county annual average (AFAIK) ie: Dublin, 120000 and Clare 40000 and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭rugbyman

Are you sure they were imported this year though?

No the ones i have seen this year do not strike me as ones that the owners would have paid for. i suspect that that system is over.
    They would be new ones ,bought here ,not personal imports
    Rugbyman

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Right, to the best of my knowledge this is my information on this. Its pretty convoluted though. And if i have something wrong do correct it!

There are a few important years in the Irish vehicle registration timeline.

1903-First registrations issued.
    1987-New year plate series issued superseding the original series.
    1992-A jump in numbers, system went computerised and some departments amalgamated. ZV series for post 30 year old vehicles introduced.
    2012-another much larger jump in numbers/import series introduced
    *Post 1987-1991
    All numbers were issued from #1 at the beginning of the year. If you reserved a plate as far as i know it was free to do so.

*Post 1991-2011
    Each series in each county started at #201 and upwards.

*From 1992 to about 2007(Macplaxton knows the exact date)
    it cost 350eu or the punt equivilent to reserve a registration, either sub #201 or otherwise.

*Post 2007(I think)
    the charge to reserve a plate or purchase a sub #201 registration was raised to 1000eu, absolute greediness on the governments part but thats not surprising is it.:rolleyes: It pretty much killed of the whole buying a number thing over night.

In 1992 there was a jump in registrations exactly the same as this years jump, but not as noticable as most series stayed pretty much the same, this year was a disaster and far more noticable because of the enormous jump in numbers. Generally it seems in the 1992 jump most series went up a couple of hundred numbers. Most older series' jumped to either #500 or #800, but its seems, though i cant say definitively for sure, pre 1963 registrations jumped to just #20. This is the reason you see many 60s and upwards year reg classics with numbers over #500 or #800, and the 50s and earlier cars are say 45D22. The classic scene was very small in 1992 also and this would also account for why this jump was not as noticable.

ZV import series registrations were first issued from 1/1/92. If you have a year plate you can change to ZV but not the other way around. This seems to be the current situation up untill the present time. Weather an original irish number older than 30 years can be changed to a ZV remains to be seen!

From 2012 the registrations again reverted to a #1 start point at the start of the year again, but still it will cost 1000eu to reserve any registration number. Numbers can only be ordered from the preceding November.

Post 1987 and pre 2012 an imported car was allocated a sequential number in that years series continuing on from the series issued in that year in each county, though post 1992 there was a gap in sequence).

Pre 5/12/2012 if you imported a car and wished to purchase a registration, you could buy an unissued sub #201 number for that year, providing it was availble. It did not matter if it was a 2009 car imported in 2011, you could still get a low registration.

Post 5/12/2012 an import car now will get a registration from a special import series that has a ceiling far above the actual new cars that will be registered here in that year. Though i believe that there is a grace period whereby if a car is imported within 6 months of its original registration in another country it will get a next in line reg as oppsed to an import series one, cant confirm that for sure though.

Since 5/12/2012 you can now no longer buy a sub #201 registration for your imported car, even if it is one of the unissued numbers for that year, you can only buy numbers for cars actually registered new first day in Ireland.

And if all that wasnt difficult enough to grasp next year there is talk of the 131 and 132 series numbers for splitting the year into two blocks to give a new number in January and July.....

Got all that..?:D

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

2cv wrote: »
    oh i was told that every county has number starting at 40000 except dublin, they start at 120000.

but i'm right in saying that you won't be able to get a really low number anymore, right?

2nd half is vaguely right Dave, but only vaguely. :D

Dublin starts at 120001, Cork 40001. You get a high number relative to what is usual for the county. 3001 would be considered very low for Dublin, but massively high for Leitrim.

C|Cork|40001
    CE |Clare |9001
    CN |Cavan |6001
    CW |Carlow |5001
    D |Dublin |120001
    DL |Donegal |11301
    G |Galway |16801
    KE |Kildare |16001
    KK |Kilkenny |8001
    KY |Kerry |10001
    L |Limerick City |6001
    LK |County Limerick |11001
    LD |Longford |4001
    LH |Louth |11001
    LM |Leitrim |3001
    LS |Laois |6001
    MH |Meath |15001
    MN |Monaghan |6001
    MO |Mayo |10001
    OY |Offaly |7001
    RN |Roscommon |6001
    SO |Sligo |7001
    TN |Tipperary North |6001
    TS |Tipperary South |8001
    W |Waterford City |7001
    WD |County Waterford |6001
    WH |Westmeath |8001
    WX |Wexford |11001
    WW |Wicklow |11001

And while I was battling with the table formatting I see carchaeologist's mahoosive post :eek:, but fortunately without a table. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭mattroche

I have had 4 vehicles re- reg. in Clare in recent times. They go 78 CE 90XX, 81 CE 90XX, 07 CE 90XX. In regard to ZV plate in Clare, it will likely be ZV 176XX or by next year perhaps ZV 177XX. The numbers are automatically generated when you pay your V.R.T., or so I was told when I looked for a particular number. I gather you dont have to be living in a county to get that Co. Number, but your local N.C.T. office will confirm that.

So Dublin:

83-D-120001 or more (est, 83D12004 or more)
    ZV 10001 or more (est, ZV10146 or more)

Clare:
    83-CE-9001 or more (est, 83-CE-9001 or more)
    ZV17621 or more (est, ZV17642 or more) (not many used in the last 10 months)

macplaxton wrote: »

And while I was battling with the table formatting I see carchaeologist's mahoosive post :eek:, but fortunately without a table. :cool:

I knew you would have an up to date table Mac!
    What was the date when the cost if a reservation jumped from €350 to €1000?.

What was the date when the cost if a reservation jumped from €350 to €1000?.

Is this a trick question? I thought you knew?

Anyway, the answer is 7th October 2008, signed off by Michael O'Grady.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=76748939&postcount=10

macplaxton wrote: »
    Is this a trick question? I thought you knew?

Anyway, the answer is 7th October 2008, signed off by Michael O'Grady.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=76748939&postcount=10

I remembed it from that thread,but never took a record of it though!

but never took a record of it though!

Shame on you! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭w124man

Well done you guys on the number plate thing but what are the ZV numbers at currently? Im thinking Wexford specifically.

w124man wrote: »
    but what are the ZV numbers at currently? Im thinking Wexford specifically.

Well it's a moving target, but here goes:

Wexford "3rd" allocation (that is the re-start of the 2nd allocation after the 5/12/11 jump) is 91901

Next number up is 91943*

(*no guarantee, but best guess)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

What '3rd' allocation?

I'm open to correction, however to my knowledge ZV numbers didnt 'jump' in 2011...merely standard 'year' plates for imports, e.g. Wexford currently starts at 11,000 (i.e....65-WX-11nnn, 79-WX-11nnn, 11-WX-11nnn etc etc etc).

I believe Revenue have stated that standard plates for imports will revert to 'normal' numbers next year(?)

Silvera wrote: »
    What '3rd' allocation?

I used the term in quotes loosely, as it's really a jump in 2nd allocation of ZV serials.

I'm open to correction too, but as far as I can see...

What happened to ZV series on 5/12/11 was that in every county, anywhere between 75 to 179 were missed out and those counties that hadn't even used up their first allocation (Leitrim, Limerick City, Longford, Sligo and Waterford City) jumped straight onto their second allocation plus one.

(If anyone since 5/12/11 has taken a ZV in Galway or Mayo, let me know, it's the only gaps I have in my table now.)

And when things started out on 1/1/87 it all seemed so simple. A seperate series for every year, in an easy to follow sequential format, when that years numbers were used all the following numbers would denote imported vehicles. . Who would have thought that they could make it so difficult that even us die hard plate fetishists cannot quite figure it out. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

And when things started out on 1/1/87 it all seemed so simple. A seperate series for every year, in an easy to follow sequential format, when that years numbers were used all the following numbers would denote imported vehicles. . Who would have thought that they could make it so difficult that even us die hard plate fetishists cannot quite figure it out. :rolleyes:

Well said!!:confused:

Advertisement