Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FM104 - Pitch!!!!?!?!

Options
  • 05-10-2012 11:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭

Whats the story with FM104 having the pitch of every song at about +5% ?
    It sounds so wrong on so many songs, e.g. songs from the likes of Adele, Emelie Sande, and I heard 2Pac Changes on it today, and without looking at the radio I knew it was 104. Whos decision is this? and what is the pitch actually at?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭Bazzer2

It's been like that for years, which is why I never listen to it. The cynic in me tells me it's so they can squeeze in another advert or two within the hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭gavindowd

Apparently it makes the station sound more punchy but I disagree. SPIN has the best processing

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,355 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

It's very noticable when you listen to another station and have heard a song on the other station a good few times, it sounds very strange on 104. One of the reasons I rarely listen to 104 for music, the second being the extremely limited playlist and the constant repeating of certain songs for months even after the other stations stop playing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭RadioRetro

When I worked there I found it strange that the office monitors sounded different from the studio feed until someone enlightened me when I commented! Sounds sh1te imho.

Is that why you left...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭smurfs5

This has always really irritated me whenever I hear a song I love, only to find that they have messed with the pitch, which ruins the song for me so I have to switch off. Why do they persist with this when it clearly sounds cheap and obviously annoys countless listeners? For the record, I agree with gavindowd that SPIN 1038 has the best processing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

It's a trend started, I am unreliably told, in the USA to give the AM stations a bit more "top end" to the audio. Also meant to make other stations sound slow and dull in comparison which is a more likely reason.
    Was 1st aware if it in the '80's when Radio Nova pitched up most of their music on cart.

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭More Music

It's not to fit more ads in. The amount of advertising minutes per hour is limited by the BAI.

The main purpose is to make the station sound more "lively", and maybe even fit in an extra song per hour.

Hilarious the other morning...

SPIN and FM104 were both playing that One Direction song at the same time and on FM104's version, the pitch was much higher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

104%, innit?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

i heard of this been done in Austrailia a few years back but didnt know irish stations were doing it also

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

More Music wrote: »
    The main purpose is to make the station sound more "lively", and maybe even fit in an extra song per hour.

Maybe back in 1989.. We have audio processors for that stuff, if the producers thought the song would sound better with more pitch they would have added more pitch, leave the songs alone..

And there, brand new music. Ain't so brand new.

msg11 wrote: »
    Maybe back in 1989.. We have audio processors for that stuff, if the producers thought the song would sound better with more pitch they would have added more pitch, leave the songs alone..

Same as about 80% of all licenced stations!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Same as about 80% of all licenced stations!

Yeah but the other stations do not go and put liners at the start of the song.

'New music on FM104 - Cold Play Fix You ' It's nearly 48 weeks in the chart.

Yeah but the other stations do not go and put liners at the start of the song.

'New music on FM104 - Cold Play Fix You ' It's nearly 48 weeks in the chart.

Ah Stop??Songs that are that old?I was talking about something like I Follow Rivers

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,355 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Ah Stop??Songs that are that old?I was talking about something like I Follow Rivers
    The reason they did that with I Follow Rivers is because it only became a chart success in Ireland (well the Magician Remix anyway) in late August/September 2012.

Interestingly enough, Al Gibbs had been playing it on Freaks on Friday well before that, it's definately been played at least 6 months before it hit the main playlist.

A bit like Otto Knows - Million Voices. It's about 7/8 months old, been played on dance/house music shows with months but it only hit the main playlists of the Hot AC sations about 2/3 weeks ago

• Registered Users Posts: 28,997 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

i actually like stations pitching songs, up 1 notch though, makes the song and the station sound more upbeat and lively, its horses for courses though.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

How to miss the point :rolleyes:

We had audio processors back in 1989 as well, you know.
    BIB, nobody said it's done to make the songs sound better. It's to make the station stand out from the others.

marno21 wrote: »
    The reason they did that with I Follow Rivers is because it only became a chart success in Ireland (well the Magician Remix anyway) in late August/September 2012.

My point is stations calling it "New" in November!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Travismccoy

Where did you hear it called new music? What station? 104?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

Was wondering why jeremy sounded like a women.

My point is stations calling it "New" in November!!!

You see, all the presenters have to manually fire the jingles between each song, using an electronic cart machine. This leads to the dj's deciding what jingle would be most appropriate to a particular song. That's why this kind of thing happens @ FM104

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

252 were doing this twenty years ago. Even at 4.5kHz bandwidth, it sounded naff.

Where did you hear it called new music? What station? 104?

RedFM in cork about 2 weeks ago the presenter on Sat morning linked into Lykke Lee sayin "Right now brand new music on RedFM"

I must be gone too old for Red FM, too many inane "rappers", and autotuned goons for my liking. More Detroit than Douglas.

And yer one with the droning voice doing the stings, who sounds like she was just shot with a tranquilizer gun-I assume she's still there. Haven't listened in years.

Victor Barry, and the lads who used to do the morning show weren't too bad though.

I must be gone too old for Red FM, too many inane "rappers", and autotuned goons for my liking. More Detroit than Douglas.

And yer one with the droning voice doing the stings, who sounds like she was just shot with a tranquilizer gun-I assume she's still there. Haven't listened in years.

Victor Barry, and the lads who used to do the morning show weren't too bad though.

It was on in a barbers i was in.Im not a fan either...

Vic Barry is now head too head with Prenderville on 96 in the 9-12 slot and "the lads who used to do the morning show " are starting a new show 12-2:30 on today fm tomorow!

Hope it goes well for them, they're good guys, and deserve a go. Certainly better IMVHO than the guy they're replacing!

I might give Vic a listen tomorrow for the craic, 'cos I genuinely didn't know he was on the daytime gig :)

Miles Off topic:

Said I'd chance Vic B this morning-tuned in to find some lad banging on about Sh1te-Factor, followed by an ad break, about three minutes of which were taken up by Droning Doris (yep, she's still doing the promos and what have you, except she's found the reverb button (r-e-v-e-r-b b-u-t-t-o-n) since last time!

I lasted all of about five minutes, before I gave up and went back to Prenders until PK started!

Miles Off topic:

Said I'd chance Vic B this morning-tuned in to find some lad banging on about Sh1te-Factor, followed by an ad break, about three minutes of which were taken up by Droning Doris (yep, she's still doing the promos and what have you, except she's found the reverb button (r-e-v-e-r-b b-u-t-t-o-n) since last time!

I lasted all of about five minutes, before I gave up and went back to Prenders until PK started!

Good ol Red......

Any ways Back too topic!Have 104 still got a horn for pitched up music?

• Advertisement

I don't really listen to 104 for music anymore but they still usually are.

On some songs you wouldn't notice it (eg David Guetta etc) but it sounds terrible on songs like We Are Young by Fun, makes no sense at all on those kinds of songs

Advertisement