Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

torrenting/irc/newsgroups distro?

Options
  • 05-10-2012 11:18pm

Would there be any Linux distro geared towards downloading from sources such as torrents, irc and newsgroups please? I'm guessing Ubuntu is my best bet but I'm no expert that's for sure! Any recommendations gratefully received!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Would there be any Linux distro geared towards downloading from sources such as torrents, irc and newsgroups please? I'm guessing Ubuntu is my best bet but I'm no expert that's for sure! Any recommendations gratefully received!
    You can download any distro. Do you want to avoid http? Most are available via torrent iirc but I'd normally just go for http.

Better off choosing a distro that fits your needs then investigating how to get download it?

Having googled ubuntu+torrent I got this as the first result. Is that what you are looking for?

• Thanks but I don't think you read my post correctly mate. I know how to download a distro. I want a distro geared towards downloading.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Ah, got you. Well again they all have good torrenting/irc apps in their respective package managers. Deluge, transmission, ktorrent for example, I use pidgin for google talk and facebook chat, it works with irc too.

Have you go more specific requrements? Eg. you don't want to have to install them, or you want them to come with a live cd?

• live cd would be great mate! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

http://susestudio.com might be able to build a live cd just as you want it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,007 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Most distros will have what you want.

Some allow you to create your own distro 'mix'.

Most will also allow you to install the basic distro on a USB stick as a Live session, and add software there.

As an example, I use PCLinuxOS and would in your case select one of the 'mini' releases such as LXDE for running Live, and then make a LiveUSB with it, (it has a PCLOS specific LiveUSB creator app on the CD), and from there add only the software I needed for the purpose.

There is also a utility within PCLOS - called 'mylivecd' - which facilitates the user creating his/her own ISO with their own software choice.
    This user-generated ISO can also be used on a LiveCD or LiveUSB device, or used to install on a PC.

There are lots of options out there.

The "difficulty" is making the choice :D ... but once you know what you want to do, the choice should be easier ;)

• Johnboy I use Yumi and have never tried PCLOS. I quite like Ubuntu. Do you know if it has the same options like the "mylivecd" you mentioned? Or should I just get off my backside and start googling? Thanks! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,007 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Johnboy I use Yumi and have never tried PCLOS. I quite like Ubuntu. Do you know if it has the same options like the "mylivecd" you mentioned? Or should I just get off my backside and start googling? Thanks! :)

Sorry, I never came across Yumi .... another one to check out :D

There were some distros with mklivecd a few years ago ...... and I seem to recall something similar for Kubuntu(?) too .... maybe remastersys or such.

I never used that but had used mklivecd for a time.

That is about all I recall at present ..... except that Suse (I think) had/has a means of building your own version over the internet, if I am recalling properly - no guarantee there either :D

That is about as much as I can provide at present ;)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

This thread crosses the line into "reasonable to infer copyright infringement". Locked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement