Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New London Transport museum, would put our own transport heritage to shame.

Options
  • 05-10-2012 10:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭

This weekend, the London Transport Museum is opening the doors of its depot in Acton, West London to the public. Among the 400,000 artifacts on display are historic road and rail vehicles, thousands of posters and artworks, signage, engines, models, uniforms and ticket machines. Visitors will also have the opportunity to get behind the wheel of a taxi as well as hear about its history.

In contrast this country has its transport heritage scattered through the country, its road confined to what is no more than a large shed in Howth (A potential fire hazard) And its railway heritage exposed and rotting away in a field 160 miles away in West Clare out of reach from the very people that use to travel on them.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2213017/London-Transport-Museum-depot-opens-doors-public-400-000-artifacts-display.html

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

it's not a new facility. It's their Museum Depot and it opens on occasions.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Sligo Quay

Isn't that what I said here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056042776&page=3 I can use the same reply, saves a lot of typing, another UK success story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

There are transport museums in developing countries that would put a lot of ours to shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,327 ✭✭✭dowlingm

LTML gets almost 6m STG a year from TfL. The question in any endeavour like this is who pays the tab.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

dowlingm wrote: »
    LTML gets almost 6m STG a year from TfL. The question in any endeavour like this is who pays the tab.

The same people who pay for ****e like the Corlea Trackway, The Box in the Docks, the Museum of Modern Art etc.etc. - need I go on? :rolleyes:

I need to...the same people who paid for P-Pars, E voting machines, Thornton Hall Prison.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,327 ✭✭✭dowlingm

fair point JD but good luck persuading The Powers That Be. Museums and arts funding are one of the most political things in the country - look how much mileage the Phoenix gets out of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

The same people who pay for ****e like the Corlea Trackway, The Box in the Docks, the Museum of Modern Art etc.etc. - need I go on? :rolleyes:

I need to...the same people who paid for P-Pars, E voting machines, Thornton Hall Prison.......

Tfl paid for the evoting machines? well thats OK then

Advertisement