Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for IT Person for Business Idea

Options
  • 05-10-2012 9:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 33

I am a DCU busines graduate. I have a business idea that I have developed to a certain point. To continue I need an IT graduate or final year student to work with me. They will be a partner in the business.
    I have contacted some IT people I know and while they have said the idea is good they are presently employed. I am looking for someone with some time to work on this with me.
    I have discussed the requirements needed with an IT friend of mine and he detailed the following requirements.

"I think you basically need someone who's enthusiastic more than anything else, since college students are all going to list practically the same experience. The person will have more than that - probably worked on some programming projects of his own at home or whatever.
    But mainly you need some form of web-based programming experience, like in Microsoft ASP.Net or PHP. Also some database experience such as Microsoft SQL Server / Oracle / MySQL. That should just about cover it."

I am looking to get in touch with anyone who might be interested to discuss this further. I am preparing a business plan and all the other aspects of this will be taken care of by me. All I require is your time. If you or anyone you know is interested please send me a private message.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭jhegarty

This will not end well.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 krusty2101

Enlighten me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭RossFixxxed

I've seen this before, and it hasn't gone very well tbh. Random postings like this are a magnet for failure.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 krusty2101

It's a magnet for an IT person who wants to make money. I would suggest your comments are the random thing in this thread but with the amount of posts you have I'm guessing this is something you like to do regularly in your ample spare time.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭TsuDhoNimh

I'm not even sure where to start with this one....

Just because you don't like what someone is saying doesn't mean they aren't giving you good advice. You should be thanking the posters raising concerns over this (either your idea has genuine merit and will survive that type of comment and scrutiny or it won't) instead of coming back with what I can only assume is a personal insult. If you dislike a post, attack the post not the poster.

Why is this a magnet for failure....

You're looking to go into a business partnership with someone you don't know anything about. Business is tough when you know the other people concerned extremely well. When it's a random connection made with nothing other than "can you code x", it's just asking for issues. No matter how good a basic idea is, the potential for success really does require the execution to be great and the people behind it to be the right people.

If you're so sure this will be a profitable venture, why are you willing to give up the equity? Either you completely believe in this and would want to retain full ownership and simply pay a developer (and want someone with more experience than a student) or you don't and you're trying to minimise your potential losses by using potential equity as the carrot to attract free labour. There isn't really much middle ground there and it's something that devs come across on a daily basis, hence their scepticism (I'm not a dev, just fyi).

Again, if the idea is such a guaranteed success, why have you waited so long to get it up and running? This will cause great concerns for anyone considering getting involved. Success in business requires perseverance and determination. Sitting on an idea that you strongly believe will be an unquestionable success for four years doesn't strike me as something that makes sense. Either you do believe in it and you make it happen, or you don't. If you can see such a clear success for whatever the idea is, why does nobody else share your view? You've spoken to devs you know about it, yet none wished to get involved. You mentioned it was due to them having full time jobs etc., but over 4 years we'd all have enough free time to get a side project up and running if we believed in it.

I'm not saying it's a bad idea, I've no clue what the idea is, but the fact that those you spoke to haven't gotten excited about it does raise queries about it in my head. Due to the reasons listed above, and another hundred or so that could be thrown out there, you'll only ever get a questionable (or outright negative) response to a "I've the best idea ever. Come do work for free and I'll let you have half the profits".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 Bombe

Well, I think thats the end of that... :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Bombe wrote: »
    Well, I think thats the end of that... :rolleyes:

If you dont have anything useful to say then keep the smart comments to yourself thanks

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement