Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving cert Irish in Kilroy college?

Options
  • 04-10-2012 4:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Any one do this? How was it? I can't commit to a weekly course due to work and family commitments? What was the work load like?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23 buttonbaby

Bump

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Kilroys College

Hi buttonbaby,

The Kilroy's College Leaving Certificate Irish home study course is a popular course. The great advantage of a home study course is that it can fit around your other family and work committments, but students do have to allocate a reasonable amount of study and preparation time to get the most out of the programme.

With any of our Leaving Certificate courses we recommend that students give themselves a minimum of 6 months to complete the entire course. Most students would take a maximum of 9 months typically to finish the course and the corresponding course work. It really depends on a student's starting level of Irish.

The Irish course contains 12 lessons and there is a written assignment at the end of each lesson - so there are 12 written assignments to be completed and sent back to Kilroy's College for correction by a personal tutor. (We insist that the assignments be hand-written by the student because the Leaving Certificate is a hand-written examination).

We recommend that a student should allow a minimum of 6 hours per week if they intend to complete the course within a 6 month time frame. Otherwise 3 hours per week would be ample if a student intends to give the course 9 months of their time. This roughly equates to a total of 150 hours study and preparation time overall.

I am delighted that you are interested in our course and please feel free to contact us at the College by phone (01) 662 0538 or email info@kilroyscollege.ie with any further questions.

Good luck with your studies.

Lisa

• Registered Users Posts: 23 buttonbaby

Thank you for your reply. I have not done my leaving cert since 1996 and I did pass Irish then, Will this course still be able to cater for me?
    How do you go about sitting the exam? Can I sit it in any local school? Would I have to do an oral exam also? If yes would this course help me prepare for that too?

Hi buttonbaby,

The Kilroy's College Leaving Certificate Irish home study course is a popular course. The great advantage of a home study course is that it can fit around your other family and work committments, but students do have to allocate a reasonable amount of study and preparation time to get the most out of the programme.

With any of our Leaving Certificate courses we recommend that students give themselves a minimum of 6 months to complete the entire course. Most students would take a maximum of 9 months typically to finish the course and the corresponding course work. It really depends on a student's starting level of Irish.

The Irish course contains 12 lessons and there is a written assignment at the end of each lesson - so there are 12 written assignments to be completed and sent back to Kilroy's College for correction by a personal tutor. (We insist that the assignments be hand-written by the student because the Leaving Certificate is a hand-written examination).

We recommend that a student should allow a minimum of 6 hours per week if they intend to complete the course within a 6 month time frame. Otherwise 3 hours per week would be ample if a student intends to give the course 9 months of their time. This roughly equates to a total of 150 hours study and preparation time overall.

I am delighted that you are interested in our course and please feel free to contact us at the College by phone (01) 662 0538

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Kilroys College

Hi Buttonbaby,

The course does cater for oral & aural elements of the leaving exam. It comes with CDs and also students can download sound files from our Learning Management System & can also upload their own recordings of themselves. Please note though that the Higher level is taught exclusively through Irish so if you sat the Ordinary level exam in 1996 you may struggle if you choose to sit the Higher level this time around.

If you intend to sit the exams as an external candidate you must first gain approval from a local examination centre that you may sit the exams there (e.g. a local post primary school). Next you should contact the State Examination Board and register with them. For full details on this process please visit the below-mentioned link on our website www.kilroyscollege.ie.

http://www.kilroyscollege.ie/guidanc...e_section_id=1

Good luck in your studies. Please feel free to contact our in-house Leaving Certificate guru Rosarii with any further queries on 01-662-0538.

Regards,

Lisa

Advertisement