Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPad mount in kitchen Cabinet PHOTOS

Options
  • 04-10-2012 9:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Ok so today my neighbour used his router to route a channel for our iPad to be mounted into the kitchen cabinet as it is to replace our radio and stream music to speakers but as in the photos you can see that the router removed the finish on the mdf we knew this was going to happen but does anyone know how i can fix this ??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

I hope he's not a carpenter as he butchered that on ye. There was a better way to do what he did with a router without making it look like it does now. Your now left in a position where you will have to try find a stain to match the existing finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Hockey slip

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

oops........... !
    That looks like solid beech to me ? You have two options. Build up the gauges left by the router with putty and then cover it with a slip - I agree with the 'hockey stick' option. ( 'Ramin' is the most common pale wood slip available - it would stain down with an antique pine stain )
    Otherwise get a competent woodworker to make up a template to size and finish it properly with a bearing guided router cutter.
    The edges would then need to be stained and varnished.If you want some beech slips made up send me the dimensions and I'd be glad to do them free gratis.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭OU812

Wow, would you not just have bought the griffin under counter mount for €70?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭richiek67

Holy- Jeasus, He made complete Sh' of your unit. I see its mdf veneered ( cherry , certainly not beech! ).
    I use a router quite a lot. Looks like he diden't even use a stop or straight edge to ensure a straight line. U need someone to finish that off properly with a router . Then possibly , due to the enlarged space , insert a cherry veneer around the inside to hide the mdf and finish it off properly. Mount tallent ( woodworkers.ie ) would sell this.
    Anyway, good luck

Rich

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

richiek67 wrote: »
    Holy- Jeasus, He made complete Sh' of your unit. I see its mdf veneered ( cherry , certainly not beech! ).
    I use a router quite a lot. Looks like he diden't even use a stop or straight edge to ensure a straight line. U need someone to finish that off properly with a router . Then possibly , due to the enlarged space , insert a cherry veneer around the inside to hide the mdf and finish it off properly. Mount tallent ( woodworkers.ie ) would sell this.
    Anyway, good luck

Rich

Yes, gotta agree its cherry. Didn't look at the big picture. If the op wants cherry slips made I'd be glad to oblige.

Where are you Keith?

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Carra23

Rich

Spot on with it being but cherry but surely solid and not MDF ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

2020652_2349164_trimmed.jpg

You could use this for a contrast.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭slpower01

There are a few things you could do....1. you could router it properly and measure and get a piece of beech made up with the circular edges on it.
    2. You could square it off and mitre timber on the inside of it and just tack it in.
    3. You could also square it off and put an L shape mould on it then stain this to suit.

4. The worth option but still do-able.... smooth off with router (properly) and get iron on edging for it.

If you need any help give me a shout.

(Experience .... FAS trained carpenter and master craftsmen.)

• Advertisement

Its NOT beech!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭slpower01

You're right its not "beech" per say but its not cherry either, its a stain in between the two woods.

One things for sure is its not veneered MDF.

Well, I think I'll retire this thread on my part, seeing that Keith wont even reply. Gd luck ....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭OU812

Ditto

• Registered Users Posts: 34 keith4594

recipio wrote: »
    oops........... !
    That looks like solid beech to me ? You have two options. Build up the gauges left by the router with putty and then cover it with a slip - I agree with the 'hockey stick' option. ( 'Ramin' is the most common pale wood slip available - it would stain down with an antique pine stain )
    Otherwise get a competent woodworker to make up a template to size and finish it properly with a bearing guided router cutter.
    The edges would then need to be stained and varnished.If you want some beech slips made up send me the dimensions and I'd be glad to do them free gratis.

Been away and getting stuff done got it sorted just spent time sanding and varnishing and it looks great new music hub !! :)
    OU812 wrote: »
    Wow, would you not just have bought the griffin under counter mount for €70?

their wasnt enough space under the counter it would have wasted space so i taught why not put it into the press and take out two wine bottles :)
    Anyway, good luck

Rich

Was a little rough but after spending time sanding and varnishing and sanding again a couple of times i got it sorted Thanks for your suggestions

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

Any pics if how it ended up?

• Registered Users Posts: 49 zebrano.96

looks worse than it is , fix it with a mitre frame similar to picture frame or make a precision routing template to follow curve of i pad that looks like a frame:)

Advertisement